FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 398>
Author
smutly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smutly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 9:11pm
I only have The Waterboys on CD, haven't found any old vinyl yet. Let's see, Room to Roam was the first one I bought, many years ago. Loved it, played the crap out of it. I should pull it off the shelf and give it a fresh listen. I think the only other one I have is A Rock in the Weary Land.
smutly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smutly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 9:22pm
Steve Forbert's debut, Alive on Arrival, is a great record. I guess it was re-issued five years ago, but I picked up an original (1978) vinyl copy for just a few dollars the other day and it sounds fantastic. It's on more than one list of 'Best Debuts' in pop music. He's still on the road, most often solo. If you get a chance to see him, do it, he's the real deal.
WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 4:21pm
Rediscovering Peter Gabriel's So, a seminal album from my childhood which I used to audition my very first hifi :-)
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 2:02pm

Playing this album right now, one of my favorite soul/R&B albums, though I guess this would be considered "Soul Blues" according to some folks. Whatever you want to call it, it's great. My copy is '74 U.S. Promo LP on ABC Dunhill Records. The album has been reissued on vinyl and CD a few times over the years. If you like this type of music and have never heard it, get it on any format you can. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
clangs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clangs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 3:09pm
That is a very good record. Bobby Bland was one of the most soulful singers ever. His Duke albums, "The California Album" and the albums with BB King are all very good. I think the Malacco albums are spotty and I'm not fond of the production. Unfortunately, he never got to cash in on the "blues boom" of the late 60s -early 70s, as he was never particularly popular with the latter day, rock oriented, "hard" blues fans who were more attuned to guitar solos and thought Bobby was not really "Blues". I was lucky to see him in New Orleans in 2003 (?) on a double bill with Al Green. Bobby's voice was not what it had been and he didn't look healthy but there were flashes of the magic.   
    I listened to the first album of Paul Butterfield's Better Days band with Geoff Muldaur yesterday. When I first heard the album back in '73 or '74, I was one of those shortsighted "rock oriented hard blues fans" and was not impressed and thought it boring. Not "rocking" enough and no guitar solos, I guess. Listening to it again all these years later, I was impressed by the strong and tight band sound and good arrangements. Most of the material was more sophisticated and hipper than that of Blues-Rock albums of the day (or now for that matter). Butterfield was a better singer than I remembered and Geoff Muldaur had some moments. And yes, there were some good guitar solos (Amos Garrett?). Not a masterpiece album or even close but still quite enjoyable.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by clangs clangs wrote:

That is a very good record. Bobby Bland was one of the most soulful singers ever. His Duke albums, "The California Album" and the albums with BB King are all very good. I think the Malacco albums are spotty and I'm not fond of the production. Unfortunately, he never got to cash in on the "blues boom" of the late 60s -early 70s, as he was never particularly popular with the latter day, rock oriented, "hard" blues fans who were more attuned to guitar solos and thought Bobby was not really "Blues". I was lucky to see him in New Orleans in 2003 (?) on a double bill with Al Green. Bobby's voice was not what it had been and he didn't look healthy but there were flashes of the magic.   
    I listened to the first album of Paul Butterfield's Better Days band with Geoff Muldaur yesterday. When I first heard the album back in '73 or '74, I was one of those shortsighted "rock oriented hard blues fans" and was not impressed and thought it boring. Not "rocking" enough and no guitar solos, I guess. Listening to it again all these years later, I was impressed by the strong and tight band sound and good arrangements. Most of the material was more sophisticated and hipper than that of Blues-Rock albums of the day (or now for that matter). Butterfield was a better singer than I remembered and Geoff Muldaur had some moments. And yes, there were some good guitar solos (Amos Garrett?). Not a masterpiece album or even close but still quite enjoyable.

I don't have any of the Duke albums, just some comps - "Call on Me" and "Two Steps from the Blues", which I have on CD and LP respectively. I'd like to get more from that era. Agreed that the California album is very good. I have that one on CD and have been looking for a clean copy of it on LP as well as the BB King collaborations. Maybe that other stuff will turn up eventually on vinyl in the condition I want or I just settle for CD editions. I had been hunting for a clean copy of Dreamer for a few years before it turned up through one of my reliable sellers. I don't know much about his later recordings at all but yeah, I've read that they can be hit or miss. 

Butterfield I don't know too much about, but I've liked some stuff I've heard. My knowledge on blues in general is a bit thin and it's a genre I've not fully explored outside of a few albums and artists here and there. One of my friends is a huge fan and just sent me a blues mix CD he made actually...
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 1:15am
I was just listening to Cape Verdeans blues from the Horace Silver Quintet. I really love the different rhythm. 
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 398>
  Share Topic