FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 397>
Author
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:45pm
I was listening to some U2 (How to dismantle an atomic bomb), and I suddently got IMMENSELY bored. Plastic music, apart from the rowdy first song ("Vertigo"). No emotion, no fun, in spite of the loud sound.

So, I took out a GREAT classic....

Still a fantastic album after 25 years... Witty, nasty, outrageously fun. Socially biting, but with a huge pop sensitivity as well. And it demands to be played LOUD!

(Although I have to read the lyrics on the inner sheet, to make something out of Cocker's thick accent!!!!!!)

Edited by Lucabeer - 19 Mar 2019 at 9:27am
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

I was listening to some U2 (How to dismantle an atomic bomb), and I suddently got IMMENSELY bored. Plastic music, apart from the rowdy first song ("Vertigo"). No emotion, no fun, in spite of the loud sound.

So, I took out a GREAT classic....

Still a fantastic album after 25 years... Witty, nasty, outrageously fun. Socially biting, but with a huge pop sensitivity as well. And it demands to be played LOUD!

(Although I have to read the lyrics on the inner sheet, to make something out of Cocker's thick accent!!!!!!)

That Pulp album is a classic and I think the next two from the band are very underrated. I'm with you on later U2, I just can't get into that stuff. Love most of their stuff from the 80s though. 
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:29pm
I don't usually listen to Italian pop/rock music. I find it boring, derivative, dull, awkward.

This band is an exception: Baustelle. 

"Fantasma" is their masterpiece. While other albums of theirs may be more accessible ("La malavita", "Amen" or the very '80s tinged "L' amore e la violenza"), this double LP is an incredible work combining symphonic grandeur, immense bleakness, Morricone influences, and a truly poetic flair. 

I don't know if you can find English translation for the lyrics, but it would be very much worth the effort. Musically it's stunning, but you can get its greatness only if you can understand the lyrics too. It's a magnum opus on death and melancholy, in a majestic orchestral style. No other album makes such a bold statement musically and poetically.

The CD and MP3s are a bit compressed and squashed, but tolerable. The double vinyl is much better, but only 2000 copies were pressed by Warner and it's an expensive rarity unless you bought a copy when it was released like I did. 

Do yourself a favour and listen to this incredible album even if Italian is not your language. 

Edited by Lucabeer - 19 Mar 2019 at 8:30pm
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 10:07pm
Some extracts from the "Fantasma" album:

If you prefer a "lighter" and more pop-oriented version of Baustelle, these are from other albums:

(and yes, there are some heavy Pulp influences!)

Edited by Lucabeer - 19 Mar 2019 at 10:12pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:50pm
A piece that I am very fond of.

Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:58pm
I have a soft spot for Nguyên Lê, and this a great album.
It's well worth seeking out :)

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 2:13pm
Dug out my original pressing of ‘you and me both’ - Yazoo and suspect I haven’t played it right through for 20 years or more.  Really enjoyed it from start to finish with great detail, soundstage and vocal detail and super tight and fast bass though either a vase or glass candle holder decided to join in with some heavy sustained synth bass notes - just wish Alison’s voice was this clean on ‘Alf’.

So impressed I also dug out my 12”45 of Only You and placed an order for upstairs at Erics!

Edited by Richardl60 - 07 Apr 2019 at 2:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 397>
  Share Topic