FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What do you experts think?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supertone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supertone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you experts think?
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:17pm
Hi I've just joined the forum following advice from Ifor on another forum.  

Currently I have a P******t 2Xperience SB Dc turntable fitted with a Ortofon 2M Silver cartridge and I’m using the built in phono stage of a Marantz PM8005 and the pre-out to connect to my AVI DM10 speakers and subwoofer.

As I don’t really need the amplifier as the speakers are active I was wondering the sound would be improved if I was to get a dedicated phono preamp.  And indeed how much would I need to spend to improve upon the integrated Marantz phono stage. I don’t think I’m ever going to move to moving coil cartridges but may upgrade the 2M Silver at some point.

I was considering the Graham Slee phono preamps such as the Gran Amp 2 Communicator or Gran Amp 2 Special edition are they much better than the Marantz? If not I’m quite happy to save a bit longer for a Reflex M. 

Supertone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supertone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:20pm
Not sure what happened to the text?
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Supertone Supertone wrote:

Not sure what happened to the text?

Oh, don't worry about that, it happens all the time. Our members will be able to decipher it, and will reply.

Thank you for joining.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:53pm
Welcome. Two quick words. Loan scheme!
Supertone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supertone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:57pm
The loan scheme is a brilliant idea but which one would give a significant improvement over the Marantz PM8005? I don't know but surely the Gran Amp Communicator can't be as good at that price?
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:32pm
I can only comment on era gold upwards which is very good; maybe pitch it at the lower price point so you can see how they compare with the marantz. If better as I suspect it depends how much you wish to invest as the range simply gets better.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Supertone Supertone wrote:

The loan scheme is a brilliant idea but which one would give a significant improvement over the Marantz PM8005? I don't know but surely the Gran Amp Communicator can't be as good at that price?

For starters why not ask Jon (aka Fatmangolf), by private message, whether you would be able to loan the Communicator and the Era Gold at the same time, or maybe the Gram Amp SE and the Reflex M?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic