FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Was Vintage Audio Any Good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 9:19am
Anybody ever tried wall mount speakers? Probably aimed at the AV fans but they’d certainly provide a bit more floor space.

HiFi is about compromise in more ways than one!
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 1:01pm
My son has a pair of Kef Celeste III speakers on his desk in his bedroom.
In between them there is a stack, from bottom to top comprising of an integrated HiFi amp, a professional grade recording interface, and a computer monitor on top.
A fruit named noiseless computer runs his DAW and fulfills general computing requirements.

It sounds great being used in the near field.

Regarding your situation, Graham, would something like this work for you?
They're in many professional nearfield installations.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 6:34pm
At the start of this topic I had hoped to show how a pair of vintage British made speakers had solved my problem, those being completely useless on stands, as I already knew. Bass reflex and light of bass.

So, I reasoned that they were truly bookshelf speakers, and that would solve my problem of having nowhere to put speakers.

The reason for the topic was (as is usual for me) to help others who might be stuck with the same problem.

I have lots of components left over which I'd have difficulty selling, plus, I have no intention of becoming a cabbage, so it is my intention to continue in design and development as a hobby.

Therefore they require a lot of storage which means lots of shelves and component drawers.

That meant the only shelf space I could give the speakers is high up, and in this case, the shelves are 5ft6 high. The shelves are 3/4 MDF on spur shelving.

My seated height is around 3ft6 to 4ft at the lug holes.

Now, an interesting thing happened. The only other speakers I have are the LS35A and the Harbeth Monitor 20.

So, I tried the LS35A and instead of boomy, the bass was tubby. That's no good.

I thought that would be game-over, and I'd be forever attached to a pair of headphones.

There is no way the bass-boosted crossovers of the Harbeth Monitor 20 are going to do the job. All I'd get is boom. But, I thought, nothing ventured...

So, they were put in exactly the same positions I had the old Castles, and that's where the Castles had performed at their best.

No boom!

Bass reinforcement? Obviously yes, but not sufficient to complain about and not one-note.

Stereo image? Amazingly, sat off-centre as the layout had to be, the sound isn't left right, but there is a sound stage. Plus, it doesn't change much wherever in the room I am.

Obviously this has to do with vectors, in that I may be closer to one speaker than the other, but my angle to the closer speaker is more off-axis.

So, the vintage forethought was shown to be wrong, and modern technology wins? I am having to guess here, but I think the design of my original M20's (not the M20.1) might be getting on for 20 years old.

(by the way, the amp driving them is my "vintage 70's" amp)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

My son has a pair of Kef Celeste III speakers on his desk in his bedroom.
In between them there is a stack, from bottom to top comprising of an integrated HiFi amp, a professional grade recording interface, and a computer monitor on top.
A fruit named noiseless computer runs his DAW and fulfills general computing requirements.

It sounds great being used in the near field.

Regarding your situation, Graham, would something like this work for you?
They're in many professional nearfield installations.

If I can get the left hand top shelf up to its next spur shelving click - and still get the things on it - then I'll have to think about the £90.

(should have retired 12 months ago...)

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:09pm
If it helps I use Iso-pucks between my speaker stands and my 1970's Motional Feedback speakers. Very good.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 11:09pm
Lucky for me, four little 1/2 inch square "rubber" feet per speaker seem to have done the trick of decoupling the speakers from the shelfs. Sounding nice. Total cost: pence.

The shock would be in trying to afford to replace the M20. The M20.1 are nearly £2200 a pair at Canford, and I don't know if that includes VAT. Hope these last me out!
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

If it helps I use Iso-pucks between my speaker stands and my 1970's Motional Feedback speakers. Very good.

Been looking at the IsoAcoustics Gaia 3 for a while now. You’ve convinced me to take the plunge and I can’t say I’m disappointed.

I’ve tried all sorts of feet under the Frugal Horn XLs the best change being spikes. The speakers are on a suspended wooden floor, with engineered flooring no carpets. The spikes took a lot of the bloom out of the bass over the rubber pucks.

The speakers aren’t in the finest position as the dining table is nearby (life with a wife is a compromise!).

I fitted the Gaia 3 pucks last night and so far I’m really pleased. I can hear more definition in the bass notes. I’ll do some listening over the weekend and get the speakers in the best position I can.

Edited by Ernie - 13 Jan 2023 at 1:44pm
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic