FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Waiting Period Playing Vinyl?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:00am
Apologies Paul, I couldn't help myself Beer

On the specific bit about giving the vinyl a chance to cool down - all of the records I've encountered have two grooves on them, and the start and finish points are a long distance apart in linear groove terms.
The start bit would be cooled by the time the end bit was reached.

There will be some heat generated - the cartridge is an electromechanical generator, and it does indeed warm up in use, but there's no burning hot stylus tip to be concerned about.

As Graham has said, the small amount of heat generated in the cartridge is beneficial, and there is a small but noticeable improvement in sound quality from playing a side before settling down for a listening session.

On the oddball record front, Monty Python released a record with 2 grooves per side, and the groove that was traced was an arbitrary one.
Jack White's Lazarus record has a least one of the sides where the groove starts in the middle, and the run out is on the periphery - IIRC there's a groove that can be traced under one of the centre labels too.

Edited by Chris Firth - 12 Jul 2019 at 12:03am
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:28am
Hey Chris, no worries. I kind of figured it was tongue in cheek. It’s all good. As I said, I don’t really believe the myth, but someone told me that the other day while we were listening and I had to ask here, as I trust this little piece of “The Internets”. This is the forum I am most active in. 
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:44am
The Internet is full of far fetched ideas, dreamt up by folk with too much time on their hands, and little to do to fill it up.

Take cartridge alignment as an example.
Some years ago I acquired a Technics SL-1210 MkII TT.
I've modded the thing mercilessly.

Soon after I acquired the deck I bought a Technics alignment tool, and it laid unused for an eternity, because it needed a Technics headshell , and my deck had had the arm removed at some point.
As I had alignment protractors I just used them.

Roll on to a month or so back, and I finally got around to modifying the Technics alignment tool, to work with a none Technics headshell.
I lined everything up with the naked eye, adjusted the tracking force, and dropped the needle into the groove, and WOW!

Those Technics engineering bods knew what they were doing when they designed the alignment tool, and they knew what to do with respect to arm/cartridge geometry.
I will not ever obsess about alignment beyond what I can see using the Technics tool, because everything just sounds right.
And aligning things uptakes just 5 minutes to mount the cartridge and eyeball up before tightening the screws.

Losing the obsessive paranoia that vinyl can bring (if you listen to the wider Internet) has brought inner peace and harmony back into my vinyl playback.
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 2:50am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Losing the obsessive paranoia that vinyl can bring (if you listen to the wider Internet) has brought inner peace and harmony back into my vinyl playback.

I admit I used to be obsessive, but lately I’ve been really satisfied with the sound I’m getting from my system. Since, I’ve been auditioning the Reflex M and Accession M, I am almost there. I just need to make a decision and plop my money down.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:03am
I think the current warm weather in the UK would warm the vinyl record more than small frictional movement ever would. The stylus doesn't stay in one place; its position on the record is continuously changing so it's not like you would get thermal hotspots or accumulations in small places that would warp the material. What about rotational airflow dissipating said heat? As others have suggested, perhaps any slight thermal expansion of the grooves as a whole after handling/playing the record primes it for further playback. I'm not in a position of experience to say but I doubt it needs a refrigeration unit or cryogenic chamber to perform as intended.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:48am

and WOW!

Good, isn't it Big smile
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

and WOW!

Good, isn't it Big smile

That's a bit of an understatement Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic