FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vinyl Studio Equalisation for Accession

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl Studio Equalisation for Accession
    Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:27pm
I learnt from John C that Alpinesoft has produced a 'beta update' for Vinyl Studio Pro which includes a specific RIAA equalisation to match the Accession 'flat' output settings.  In effect it allows RIAA equalisation to be added to the 'flat' output at the point of recording in Vinyl Engine.  I downloaded the update this morning to test it and can certainly say it works; whether it makes any noticeable difference is another matter.  Making a simple comparison of recordings using the equalisation (Accession flat),  without equalisation (Accession RIAA) and straight through vinyl I couldn't make out any significant differences.  It was only a quick test and the levels between recording and vinyl had to be manually adjusted on my Majestic so it wasn't particularly rigorous  but there were no obvious differences to my ears.  I guess this means both are equally accurate. 
I'm not sure what the benefit of replacing the hardware equalisation of the Accession with software equalisation in the recording could be but would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this or has any thoughts on possible benefits.

Edited by John C - 20 Jan 2022 at 5:24pm
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
John C View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

gspaudio moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:21pm
Hi Mike,

It's Vinyl Studio Pro software, Vinyl Engine is the forum and manuals download site Wink
I'll see if I can do an edit... (done)

The main advantage is for use of older (now non-standard) EQ curves for older LP's and 78's. If Alpinesoft don't do a specific plug-in for other settings then you can create your own.

Edited by John C - 20 Jan 2022 at 5:26pm
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:32pm
Hi John, thanks for the correction  and explanation.
Mike

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:24pm
Thanks Mike I have VS and will take a look at this. Bruce BAK with losts of instrumentation experience posted recently about it being better to use the preamp RIAA to record rather than recording flat and digitally re-EQing. From trying this myself in VS  I agree with his good advice is right.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:45am
Instigated by a loaner member on here, Paul at AlpineSoft considered the Accession "CA/flat" output option to be important enough to provide an RIAA EQ in Vinyl Studio.

I have yet to include links from our Accession and Phono Preamp pages, but that's work in progress.

I tried his earliest EQ effort compared with the Accession EQ and it was difficult to tell any difference, although if you know what to listen for, there was a difference, but since then, Paul has tweaked the EQ, so I'm not surprised both sound identical.

All that's required now is for a software graphic EQ such that old record EQ's can be adjusted as per the findings on antique music sites, and some great performances of the past can be heard in their full glory. Perhaps Paul can help with that too?

This forum encourages the advancement in understanding how audio really works for the benefit of its members and all its readers. After 14 years it's good to know the outside world is starting to take notice.

Edited by Graham Slee - 21 Jan 2022 at 6:46am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:46am
Graham, 
Opening the 'equalisation' menu in VS 'check recording' reveals a drop down box with a long list of preprogrammed equalisation settings.  Can't recall all but certainly options such as old 78s, noisy vinyl, Decca cartridge. So there could be something suitable for many old recordings.  Using the Accession flat output settings  makes more sense after seeing these options.
Mike

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:49am
Thanks Graham, it sounds like a good collaboration to me. I will try the comparison soon.

Just to clarify my high opinion of VinylSTudio which I used to rip many hundreds of records, often as a batch I clean then record for later processing in VS. Because of this method I have used VS to re-EQ records I ripped with RIAA on several LP's when I realised afterwards they sounded better with the 'Brit' setting on the Accession. VS has a reverse-RIAA to facilitate this. Thanks to VS  the 'fix' was much quicker than re-ripping an LP and sounded very good to me.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic