FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vibration sink?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration sink?
    Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 8:13am
I notice a lot of people sit their turntables on slabs of granite. 
The added mass is supposed to soak up vibrations I’m told. 
Some folks isolate the slab with a squash ball or partially deflated small inner tube under each corner of the slab. 

Do any of you guys/girls do this?  Does it help?

My LP12 fits on a heavy oak (HIFI Racks) wall shelf & the floor is concrete anyway.  However, due to comprises with the furniture/wife the TT sits way too close to the R/H speaker. About 2’ 😱

Must be affecting the sound through vibrations & magnetic fields surely?

Far from optimal but that’s what I got. 

Worth a go adding a slab as a vibe sink??

Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 9:49am
You have a head start with the wall shelf.
Is it a dual part shelf with spikes?
If so, what is the spiking arrangement?
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:32am
I too suffer similar problems in that the preferred room layout determined by the domestic management places the speakers close to the equipment rack. Things will change soon I keep telling myself, but not just yet....
Acoustic feedback will almost certainly occur through the arm, cartridge, record and platter. A heavier sub base will not reduce the airborne feedback on them. I've had some success with a heavy acrylic cover (4mm perspex) on my Garrard 401/Audiomods set up which had a 15Kg plinth. This is being rebuilt with lighter oak plinths decopled from each other by rubber/sorbothane suspension. My latest turntable has a comparatively light Bamboo plinth, 2Kg acrylic platter with belt drive from a 24v motor all supported on Sorbothane hemispheres on a 6mm glass shelf, but no cover as yet. This does not seem to suffer any particularly adverse feedback. I suppose listening levels have a great deal to do with noticeable effects.
Your heavy plinth won't suffer much, but further sinking might improve things. Be aware also that too much deadweight can result in a dead sound. 
I doubt that magnetic fields will play any part, the field from the loudspeaker magnets will be constant and therefore have no effect and those from the voice coils should be quite well contained.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:33am
nope. Just a single slab. 
I’d post a pic if I knew how 
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:35am
you can buy an additional shelf on isolation spikes. 
Thought it was getting into snake oil territory at the time. 
Won’t make any difference to the magnetic fields produced by all the big speakers anyway. 
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:38am
it’s on a HiFi Racks oak wall mounted shelf
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:39am
I never play it with the lid on
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic