FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Utterly baffled by speaker hum..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 8:30am
A little update....(please bear in mind I am lucky enough to be working full time and bxxxxy long hours,and have had but few hours to try to solve my little problem)...I rescued my "spare" Gold Era V phono stage from workshop this morning...with exactly the same results..the hum is present in the speakers at very moderate levels indeed, and as with the Accession stops completely when the turntable leads from the Rega P8 are disconnected...I have also re-connected both the Rega and Arcam amps in turn, and no hum whatsoever can be detected....I will be the first to acknowledge that my skills and knowledge in the electrical/mechanical field fall a long way short of rudimentary:)
Rega P8, Exact m.m, Accession m. phono stage, Graham Slee /Chord interconnects, Dali Oberon floor standers.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:11am
Originally posted by frimmers3 frimmers3 wrote:

I fail to see why I am being taken to task.....

You're not Smile

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:33am

A little update....(please bear in mind I am lucky enough to be working full time and bxxxxy long hours,and have had but few hours to try to solve my little problem)...I rescued my "spare" Gold Era V phono stage from workshop this morning...with exactly the same results..the hum is present in the speakers at very moderate levels indeed, and as with the Accession stops completely when the turntable leads from the Rega P8 are disconnected...I have also re-connected both the Rega and Arcam amps in turn, and no hum whatsoever can be detected....I will be the first to acknowledge that my skills and knowledge in the electrical/mechanical field fall a long way short of rudimentary:)
The bit in bold points to the issue being upstream of the phono preamp.

Are you using the G1042?
They are very sensitive to picking up electrical noise.
I know because I have one.
When I used it I had a modified tonearm from that company in Essex, and I too had very low level hum.

It turns out that the armtube wasn't properly grounded, for which I cannot point the finger at said company from Essex, as I had the dealer I bought the arm from replace the wiring loom.

Using the G1042 on a SME3009 2imp sorted out the problem completely, but that's SME for you - they always had a handle on properly grounding things.

frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:55am
I am using a Rega Exact....what is perplexing me the most is that when I use exactly the same audio chain with a Rega Brio and an Arcam Delta amp no problem whatsoever exists....the speaker hum only kicks in with the Naim amp. Some have suggested running an earth wire from the Accession phono stage to the mains....this scares me to death because a) is it safe to do so, and b) would it not negate a product warranty?
Thank you for your help,
Steve H.
Rega P8, Exact m.m, Accession m. phono stage, Graham Slee /Chord interconnects, Dali Oberon floor standers.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:59am
Are you still using the tuner input of the Nait?
Do you get a change in noise using the CD input?
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 10:31am
I f I use the Naim tuner or cd input the hum is the same. If I connect my cd player to the cd input of the Naim the problem ceases to exist....no detectable hums or buzzes whatsoever:)
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

I fail to see why I am being taken to task.....

You're not Smile

Likewise Smile
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic