FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Utterly baffled by speaker hum..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Utterly baffled by speaker hum..
    Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:29pm
cut a long story short....have just got a Naim Nait 5si amp and a lovely pair of Spatia cables...(I know it is not the cables as the problem started before I installed them). I connect my Accession m.m to the tuner input on the Naim. Result? Loud hum from the speakers. When I select the c.d player, all traces of hum disappear. I have checked all the component parts by just having the amp and speakers connected, introducing them one by one, and the "culprit" seems to be the Accession.I have thoroughly checked the inputs and outputs, even using different interconnects, but the hum persists.
Just when I thought it time to give up the ghost,I changed from "stereo" to "mono"....and blow me down with  a feather...the bxxxxy thing is perfect!
This is way beyond my simple grasp of electronics....how could switching from stereo cure/cause this?
Sorry to be an absolute pain!! 
Rega P8, Exact m.m, Accession m. phono stage, Graham Slee /Chord interconnects, Dali Oberon floor standers.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:51pm
Best thing to do is send it back to be thoroughly checked out.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:53pm
The amp or the Accession?
Rega P8, Exact m.m, Accession m. phono stage, Graham Slee /Chord interconnects, Dali Oberon floor standers.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 11:03pm
Not jumping between forums would be a good start.
If you need technical help ask for it in the right places.
This place is better qualified to answer your questions than many other places.

Edited by Chris Firth - 01 May 2021 at 11:12pm
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 4:01am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Best thing to do is send it back to be thoroughly checked out.

Yes, best to contact John C @ (0) 1909 568739... after 11am, before 2 or 3pm... GMT.
 He would be the one that checks it out completely, as he does with every unit sold before shipping.

And you could follow the last 2 suggestions on the S...H... forum.

Your description of the many odd power supplies being positioned close together is a concern.

Edited by BAK - 02 May 2021 at 4:32am
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 6:21am
You identified the Accession as the culprit, so I thought my reply, "Best thing to do is send it back to be thoroughly checked out", should have conveyed that I meant the Accession should be sent back to us.

When you have a manufacturer as approachable, available and open as we are, testified so publicly year after year, I would have thought you would have reached out to us regarding your problem first.

Whereas other products seem to evolve from the far east, we create our products ourselves and know every component's function by name. I don't know if you borrowed the loaner Accession recently, but if you did, you would have spoken to John C. As well as doing UK loan coordination, in our small cottage industry, every product is performance tested by John C.

It is a matter of personal pride that I equipped us with industry-acclaimed Audio Precision performance analysers, even though they cost a massive chunk of what would otherwise be profit. However, rather than batch test, John and I are disciplined in testing every single product because we are sufficiently experienced to know that all components from anywhere and everywhere can sometimes be DOA.

I sometimes wonder why I bothered to write our 'about' page. I suppose, in this deceitful interweb world, anybody could make something like that up? The difference is that every word we say is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Pre-digital analogue radio stations didn't evolve from the far-east - they were created in cottage industry broadcast engineering offshoots, such as Audionics (Sheffield) Ltd, in very much the same way as BBC Engineering.

So did this countries infrastructure (before they tore it down) - genuine engineering companies created it, and I was proud to serve as a subby to the best of them! So, we are not an importer of evolved far-east circuitry without a clue what it does - we created what we do - and so know it inside out.

Did you unplug the turntable input cable to the Accession? Did it still hum? It would help to know.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 8:09am
I fail to see why I am being taken to task.....I did not "discover" that switching the Accession from "stereo" to "mono" stopped the hum from the speaker until seconds before making my post. Up until then,I was convinced that the "culprit" was the new Naim amp, beingh as that none of the hum occcured when hooking up the same signal path to a Rega Brio or ab Arcam Delta.
I have never disparaged any Graham Slee product,in fact I have sung your praises far and wide,and spent a fair few bob along the way.
Now that is off my chest, I have just as you advised disconnected the P8 from the Accession,and the "hum" does stop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic