FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Using Accession MM w/SUT?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jloinmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jloinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Accession MM w/SUT?
    Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:34pm
Hi, I'm new here and apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere.  I did search and found nothing helpful.

Long story short, I started down the road of upgrading my Pre Amp.  Ever since I upgraded to Vandersteen 3A Sigs I felt the Pre was my weak link, followed by the TT.

The system in question is used only for vinyl and the Accession was suggested by a member on another forum.  I do like the idea of running straight from Phono Stage to Amp as this seems like a more efficient route if you are only playing vinyl (and can control the volume).

My question is, if I went this direction and wanted to experiment with a MC Cart, what would I be giving up by using a SUT to allow me to use the MM PS?  I've only ever had MM so I'm not really sure I want to lock myself into the MC Phonostage.

Thanks!

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 8:10am
Hi Jeff,
I can't comment on a SUT, but having tried the The Accession MC on the loan scheme v Accession MM + Elevator EXP I would say the Acc MC is superior - imaging & detail are better defined, although the Acc MM  + Elevator combo is already very strong here.

Edited by RichW - 18 Sep 2019 at 8:11am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
jloinmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jloinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:10pm
Thanks for your reply...
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 5:06pm
I first tried out an MC cartridge using an Era Gold V and a relatively cheap SUT that was however designed for the MC cartridge I was trying.
It was certainly sufficient to give me a taste and I moved on to a more expensive MC cartridge from the same manufacturer which also worked quite well with the SUT.
I later stumped up for an Elevator Exp to replace the SUT and was pleasantly surprised by the gain in performance that afforded.
I have since moved on firstly to a Reflex and later a Revelation M and finally an Accession M still using the Elevator Exp.
I have in that time tried a good number of more expensive MC cartridges and SUTs but settled for continuing with the Accession M and Elevator Exp combination.
I have now had opportunity to trial the Accession MC and it does afford yet another step up in performance from the present combination.
Being satisfied with the MC cartridges I now have I will likely move to an Accession MC when finances permit.
But to answer what I gather to be your question, by all means use a SUT as an interim means to trial an MC or two but be aware that the Elevator Exp is more flexible in its loading options and superior in performance (to my hearing) to any SUT less than or equal in price.

Tony G
jloinmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jloinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 7:00pm
Having had the experience with so many MM and MC carts, what is the price point on MC where you feel you get a solid advantage over MM.  My read is that you need to spend quite a bit.  And, how long can you use an expensive MC before it needs to be replaced?  I replace the stylus on my MM about every 1,000 hours or so - about every two years.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:42am
I actually have only a little experience of MM cartridges, the first cartridge that "clicked" for me was the HOMC Denon DL-110 and I went from that to a Denon DL-103 then a DL-301 II.
I have no idea how one might define a "solid advantage" or even if such a thing might exist.
To me, cartridges are such characterful devices that you try to find one (of whatever type, MM, MI, MC) that presents the music you prefer to listen to, in a manner you find pleasing.
I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to a wide range of music using the venerable Denon DL-103.
As to stylus life that seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and also seems to vary according to polish, grain orientation, stone quality, profile etc.  I have seen figures from 500 hrs to 5000 hrs.  Your 1000 hrs would probably be an average conservative figure across the board.
MC cartridges are commonly retipped which is often markedly cheaper than replacement. (dependent on the original cost of the cartridge)
Tony G
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 8:18am
As Tony says, all cartridges have their own characters and while you could say that MCs can offer more detail (especially in the treble), it's not really that simple. "Better" can just mean "different" and here it comes down to personal preferences and what suits the music you're playing.

Over the years I've built up quite a collection of MM. MI and MC carts and I like all of them for different reasons. Sometimes on going back to a cheaper MM I find myself thinking wow, that sounds good!

I also have the good fortune to be able to run three turntables at a time with three of Graham's phono amps - Accession MC, Accession Mm + Elevator EXP , and Reflex M.  For MCs the Acc MC (with Enigma PSU1) definitely has the edge over the Acc MM with the Elevator. But having said that if I had to have just one then the flexibility given by the Acc MM + EXP would be hard to resist.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic