New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Upgrade Path - Reflex C Vs. Accession/Elevator EXP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Upgrade Path - Reflex C Vs. Accession/Elevator EXP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
StreamIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StreamIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade Path - Reflex C Vs. Accession/Elevator EXP
    Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 8:40pm
Hello, first post here, please be gentle! ;-)

I currently own an ISOKinetik Modular 1.5 TT with Silver Melody tonearm (with matching pure silver interconnects). I also have the ISOdrive2 PSU/speed control, AVID Pellar MM/MC phono stage and Denon DL-103R (matched L&R) MC cart. 

I'm listening through a Rotel 2ch power amp and a pair of B&W CM9's. Although everything sounds generally OK, sometimes the system fails to impress me. Some records sound great, whilst others sound flat to me. I generally listen to 70's & 80's rock, pop & dance. 

Anyway, I was wondering if my system would benefit from an Accession phono stage paired with an Elevator EXP, as I've heard this can help? Or... would I just be better off with a Reflex C MC phono stage perhaps?? The biggest difference I've noticed so far was going from a Nagaoka MP500 MM cart to the Denon DL-103R MC cart, which cost a third of the price! However, I did not notice much difference when I first upgraded from an Amp 2 Communiactor (great little phono stage) to the Avid Pellar phono stage on the advice of a well known e-tailer in Peterborough. 

I just don't want to keep throwing good money after bad, not really knowing what I'm doing. I'd really appreciate some impartial advice!

Many thanks in advance!

David

Edited by StreamIT - 04 Jun 2017 at 9:11pm
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 8:03am
Hi and welcome   

The accession will sound substantially better than the reflex with the Elevator albeit more costly but will improve flexibility.

There were some poor pressing in the 70s/80s I have a number e.g from Spain which can sound flat whatever.

I cannot comment on most of your hardware but don't forget cables also often underated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 8:04am
Ps and the loan scheme.
StreamIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StreamIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 8:32am
I'm using Chord Chorus Reference interconnects from the Pellar to the Rotel and Chord Epic speaker cables to the CM9's. I've also separated all the audio cables from the mains cables etc. 

I know what you mean regarding pressing... I purchased an Ian Dury LP recently (re-release), which sounded terrible compared to a 37 year old LP I already had. However, I purchased a re-release of "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, which sounds absolutely amazing to my ears.

So... the Accession paired with an Elevator EXP really makes that much of a difference then?

Thanks.

Edited by StreamIT - 05 Jun 2017 at 8:53am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:19am
Hi. Your cables appear quite reasonable, I home demo'd the Epic twin a few years ago.

I had an era gold/revelation(reflex m) and moved on to the accession the era/revelation differences were worthwhile but in absolute terms relatively small whereas the Accession difference was quite marked.

Budget wise you are looking at double or so for the Accession combo which isn't an insignificant outlay but at least you have something to demo on your gear at your leisure to properly access with your vinyl.

Out of curiosity do you listen to other sources than vinyl? Just wondered if the flatness you describe is limited to vinyl or all sources?
StreamIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StreamIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:38pm
What I'm struggling to understand is why the GS flagship phono stage is MM when high end cartridges tend to be moving coil? Are most people using the Elevator EXP with the Accession?

In answer to you question... CD's all tend to sound the same, as do streaming services. I just tend to notice a huge variance when listening to vinyl. 

I guess I should also be looking at my amp and speakers perhaps?
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 1:13pm
Hi David and Welcome to the forum.
There's only one way to find out if the Accession would fit your needs, trial one through the loan scheme. If you still have the Nagoaka MP500, the Accession will bring the best from it, certainly equalling the Denon if not bettering it.
There are to be 2 versions of the Accesion both MM and MC. As Graham explains in the Accession and other threads MM and MC really require quite different circuit designs to optimise the sound from each. Also, don't be mislead by the MC is better than MM brigade, £ for £ MM can give better reproduction, the Nag MP500 is up with the Ortofon 2M Black as some of the best MMs, they just need a decent phono stage (and Arm/Turntable) to bring the best from them.
Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic