FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Topic ClosedUK loan programme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 53>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:32pm
Thanks Stuart.

For general reference can anyone please PM me rather than writing requests here. I login when I get a chance and respond to PM's.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:22am
One benefit of Graham's wares being housed in small and relatively lightweight casings is that when used the loaner scheme the postage cost is half reasonable. Posting my CD or Amp with insurance or signed for being a more traditionally sized box of 14-20kg the cost would be rather prohibative under and loan scheme although mindful the majestic is a bit bigger.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:50pm
Too true Richard. And their compact form means I can carry several loan packages at once when needed.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:19am
Hi Jon,

I sent you a PM asking for a return address but I'm not sure if you received it. I found the original shipping label so have returned the unit to the university for delivery on Monday. Many thanks for the loan. I'm now in possession of my own Slee.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 2:51pm
Sirry I've been away with limited web access and then busier at work than I had expected. That should get through to me.
Jon

Baflar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 11:32pm
Hi All.  I'm new here... and looking forward to hearing what a Graham Slee phono pre-amp can do.  I have a theory!  I thought I'd post it here and invite thoughts/comments from the undoubted audiophile forum members.

It all starts with my borrowing a phono pre-amp from my brother.  I'm keen to find some way to sharpen up the 'attack' edge of the treble reproduction, and if possible to improve the soundstage.  I have a decent cartridge (Ortofon 2M Bronze) and a good, but old, amplifier (Audiolab 8000A).  My brother thought a phono pre-amp could be the answer.  Unfortunately, his phono pre-amp (which retails at about £130) was disappointing: a firm bass, but far less 'clean' than the Audiolab phono stage.  After that test, my brother told me that his phono pre-amp improved his old amp, but not his very new integrated amp.

So here's the theory.  It makes sense that electronics designers would have in mind the commercial competition, and put most of their investment into the parts that the customers would find most important.
  My Audiolab amp was designed back in the distant days when vinyl was king, so it was important to build in a very good phono stage – switchable between MM and MC even!  I can’t even remember seeing separate phono amps at that time.  But most of the integrated amps available now were designed when CD was the standardised sound carrier, so it made sense just to provide a relatively perfunctory phono stage.  Now that there is a serious resurgence of interest in vinyl (taking manufacturers of hi-fi equipment by surprise it would seem), there is a demand for separate phono pre-amps: they're needed to get the best out of those amps that were designed during the years when vinyl was thought to be a dead format!  But now we have that vinyl resurgence, and amp manufacturers are again keen to include a good phono stage...

If my theory is right, will my Audiolab still be 'too good' to benefit from a Gram Amp 2 Communicator?  The reviews are phenomenally complimentary, but is that because they're feeding main amps designed some time between, say, 1986-2012?!  (I can't wait to find out... Smile)

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 9:56am
Good questions!

This taken from a very early review when I was working on a shoestring budget (i.e. I was skint and just starting out)...

"Getting into the real world I trotted off to my Father-in-Laws house and tried both stages in his system. He has a good vinyl front end (A&R Legend, RB250, V-15) and an A&R integrated from a time when most people used vinyl (i.e. a cut above current built-in stages), and a pair of similar IPL speakers to my own - personal recommendation:-) This system is warm and friendly, a nice easy listen. Swapping around phono stages showed the Gram 1 to be just that bit more detailed and fast than the on-board stage, not a huge difference but probably worth the £60 if you were looking to upgrade the amp. The Gram 2 was that bit better again, a bit more powerful sounding, but it's better soundstaging wasn't on display. Both produced nicer noises than the budget Technics CD player... "

Full review here: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/gram-preamps_e.html

My history regarding phono preamplification goes back to the 70's when phono preamps weren't heard of (although RCA had a design for one which used valves). I started making them to improve the distorted sound of the disco equipment around at the time.

Skipping a lot of that history we arrive in 1979 with the new Rega Planar series turntables and high output moving coil cartridges (HOMC). It is also at a time when the integrated amplifier manufacturers are in flux between transistor and op-amp front ends.

What sounded comfy using MM cartridges suddenly took on the bright stridency of the HOMC, and I seriously considered a career change. In fact, after reading that this bright stridency was called audiophile - the place to be - I ditched all hope of becoming a hi-fi manufacturer and up until 1989 designed and made printed circuit boards for other companies.

I kept my interest in phono preamp design and was able to make myself several different configurations, or clones of what others were doing. Some actually sounded good. Although not mainstream in the market place, these phono preamps existed from around the time CD came into being. An example of one company doing such things was Sage Audio who I'd made printed circuits for.

So, back to the question. Did these old integrated's have better phono preamps built in? I can only go on the circuit diagrams I see. And what I see is a number of variations on the same theme, which uses a frequency dependent negative feedback loop for RIAA EQ around an amplifier stage using either discrete bipolar transistors or an op-amp.

What a lot of these designs lacked only surfaces through analysis and it can be seen that little research went into most of these designs. They are obviously commercial offerings and people work for companies, and it's a job, and most jobs are 9 till 5. Only idiots like me burn the midnight oil over the finer points (and I often wonder why I bother).

Another interesting thing happened in recent history which throws in more variables, making the question even harder to answer, and you won't hear it being talked about anywhere else. I know it as "shrink", and it took quite a few years for me to cotton on.

Thanks to ultra-miniaturisation (the cellphone), die sizes had to shrink to fit the tiny IC packages required. It became a game changer where problems arose swapping from a DIL op-amp to a shrink package - things didn't sound as good!

Bearing in mind that a lot of phono front ends (built in or otherwise) use op-amps, then in comparing old with new some have noticed a difference. It begs the question why use op-amps? The answer being that discrete devices don't have the market they used to have and are rapidly becoming obsolete - we have lost so many great transistors and FETs to progress. So we have to accept we can't do it the old way any longer, or for much longer.

The difference really came into being on the approach to 2006, when RoHS forced chip manufacturers into making economies, and that involved replacing the old die size in all chip size offerings with the new shrink dies.

As size went down speed went up. So going back to the earlier analysis we now find that the instabilities which mattered little in older "lego block" op-amp designs, now matter. It now becomes highly important to look at these finer points, or the sound suffers.

So that may throw some light on why things might not sound as good today. It also should highlight that when working with such small signals and the degree of amplification required, that the level of R&D required to rout out the problems isn't easily achieved in a 9 till 5.

I have to ask myself the question at this stage of writing "will the reader understand or have the foggiest clue what I'm rambling on about?" and the answer is probably no, but since I've written it I may as well hit the publish button.

But, after all is said and done, the reader can use his/her ears to decide and that is why we run this loaner program. If we thought we had nothing to offer would we be doing it?

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 53>
  Share Topic