FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

TV sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:41pm
have a search around the menus of your TV/PVR etc, they may have the ability to adjust the lipsync values by the odd millisecond or two.

I have several metres of toslink cable between my TV and dac and I have not felt the need to adjust the lipsync though.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 5:24pm
I've found that the sound from the analogue outputs on TVs is quite poor, compared to the digital outputs via a good DAC ( I also use "DIY" Sabre ES9023 & ES9016 DACs ).
For everyday use my TV sound is taken from the Sky box digital out. This does need slight delay correction of 60 milliseconds, which is set in the Skybox menu, to get correct lipsync.
Only downside is that these digital outputs are fixed level, so no remote control.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 1:14pm
Noted thanks you. I have found the analogue outputs very good so it will be interesting to see when my new tv, DAC and cables arrive. I will let you know. Many thanks.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Noted thanks you. I have found the analogue outputs very good so it will be interesting to see when my new tv, DAC and cables arrive. I will let you know. Many thanks.

Sound quality will no doubt depend on manufacturer and model, my experience has been limited to older (5-10 years old) Panasonics, Sony and LG. It seems as though I won't experience TV analogue outputs these days.
I am in the process of switching from Sky to BT Youview and also replacing the trusty Panasonic plasma that has served us well for 10 years. I shall therefore be interested in your experience with your new TV.

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 8:34pm
Well the new tv is in place and wired up.

The basic sound of the TVs own speakers is very different.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:34pm
The sound from the new pannys speakers is bigger maybe smoother goes louder but there is phasiness the the sound and it does despite being less obviously bright emphasises sibilance. These are both flat panels around 7 1/2 years apart so you wouldn't expect audiophile sound but in many ways the new panny is probably preferable.

How does this sound through the optical link/DAC & system? Due to family commitments cannot really say yet but does seem quite different. In some ways appears to reflect the sound of the TVs in some ways. Perhaps fuller sounding but possibly less open and a bit veiled with the bass having less punch and power a feature on some of the better tv recordings was immense deep and clean, well controlled bass. Will try and listen properly later in the week.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:43pm
I have now concluded that the TV speaker sound is preferred to my Old Panny.

Using the same home made screened cables through the budget DAC revealed a pretty good sound. Maybe a little smoother and less peaky than I could recall with the old Pannys analogue outputs.

Listened to some sky, BBC, record high impact DR who and extracts f on last years last night of the proms.
I cannot realistically revert back to the old Panny to try as both are screwed on to their respective walls!

I have am trying to get hold of a couple of cables from the loan scheme which should prove an interesting comparison.

I also tried my purse silver reference cables, which too, some installing as the DAC sockets are very close and could not readily get a stable output.
After several failed attempts I was ready to give up and plugged the small power supply in my power HUB rather than direct to the wall and finally got the sound to stabilise with a big of tape to hold the plugs and cables in place.

Overall impressions were of some improvement on non music programmes being rather smoother and more open.
On LNOTPs the differences were a lot more apparent. Scale, dynamics clarity and openness made the presentation far more enjoyable to listen to. Bass was tighter and more powerful. Wonderful organ pipes on 'rule Britannia' and Jerusalem.

Is the optical option viable, most definitely. Is it better than analogue I wouldn't like to say.

Options from here;
1)continue to use a shortened version of my home made cables which does sound very good.
2)use my reference pure silver cables - sound is becoming more engaging the more I listen but the plugs would have to be changed and can I really justify having to spend near the price of an Accession on these for TV use almost certainly not.
3) one of grahams cables, very possible
4) another option from my current supplier.

One other thought I do suspect that plugging the power supply in to my power HUB may well have had some impact too as the scale and power now being seen does reflect the benefits of the HUB.

I will see what happens when Jon gets back re the loan scheme cables and may well switch the power back to the wall socket at some stage to try it there again but a very happy near end result.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic