FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Turntable Speed Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Some may desire a turntable which refuses to turn without hand assistance, but I am sure the vast majority see it as poor engineering.
Don't the "hand-assisted" turntable makers tout a lack of torque as a beneficial feature? A massive platter, once spinning, only needing minimal assistance to keep going . . . That has a certain philosophical attraction, but I'm technically challenged, and prefer turntables without belts anyway Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 3:30pm
Having gotten round the motor problems we now have a red herring!

I've been very fussy about getting the 45 rpm speed bang on, especially for American customers where obtaining the correct frequency for 60Hz sync motor turntables isn't that easy.

I now realise the significance of the 45.11 rpm markings on 50Hz strobe discs, which led me to research things further.

For a 50Hz sync motor turntable 45 rpm is so easy to obtain from a quartz crystal. It just requires a 67.5Hz sine wave. And if you understand how to work with divide by n counters, obtaining 67.5Hz isn't rocket science.

For a 60Hz sync motor turntable 45 rpm is not easy at all. It requires 81Hz and it is difficult to get exactly 81Hz from all the quartz crystals which run at sensible rates, and with logic which again runs at sensible rates, by which I mean frequencies which aren't going to generate EMC problems.

So for 45 rpm, if 67.5 Hz is achieved for a 50Hz sync motor turntable, and 81Hz is achieved for a 60Hz sync motor turntable, then you have 45 rpm bang on - end of story...

Not!

Because 45s made in 50Hz countries are actually 45.11 rpm, and 45s made in 60Hz countries are 45 rpm.

The most difficult to get right, in the 60Hz USA (and other 60Hz countries), is 45 rpm, which really needs to be 45 rpm.

The easiest to get right, in 50Hz countries, just happens to be of no use, because 45s in these countries were mastered at 45.112 rpm...

Why? Because the lathes were synchronised to the mains, not a crystal.

60Hz is 3600 cycles a minute and if divided by 80 gives 45 rpm.

50Hz is 3000 cycles a minute and would have to be divided by 66.66666 recurring to get 45 rpm. For some reason they could divide it by 66.5, but not 66.6 or 66.66.

So, in the UK (and Europe etc) 45 rpm is 45.112 rpm, and in the US (and Canada etc) 45 rpm is 45 rpm.

Is it still 45.112 rpm on new pressings? Nobody knows. Probably they don't give a damn.

But the point is this. If a controller for a 50Hz sync motor turntable set to 45 rpm is used with a 50Hz strobe disc, it will not look locked... because 50Hz strobe discs are made for 45.11 rpm.

Edited by Graham Slee - 27 Dec 2017 at 3:30pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 7:22am
I have come to my own conclusion regarding the 45.11 rpm thing, and being unable to find any official confirmation I can only put it down to the strobe disc itself.

In otherwords I don't believe the arguments for 45s being cut at 45.11 in 50Hz mains countries.

However, I can see why strobe discs for 45 rpm in 50Hz countries are only accurate when run at 45.11 rpm, and that is because of the non-integer number of bars/dots required for 45 rpm.

It would need 133.33333 (recurring) bars/dots - try doing 1/3rd of a bar/dot - can't be done, you need whole ones.

And therefore the strobe disc for 50Hz use will always show 45s running slow (the bars stepping backwards very slowly).

As for the cutting lathe sync motor requiring the 3000 cycles per minute dividing down by integers then 3000/45 is 66.66666 (recurring) and 3000/45.11 is 66.5, and neither are integers.

It could be 66 or 67 which would give 45.4545 (recurring) or 44.7761194 which is nowhere near.

If the 45.11 thing were true then they divided down by 66.5, and if they could do fractions then they could do 66.6 and 66.66, and so on.

Therefore I am leaving the frequency at 67.5Hz and so a 50Hz sync motor turntable will turn at 45 rpm, period.

And if it is proven to me that European 45s are actually 45.11 rpm, then we're only 0.2444 (recurring) percent out, but imported 45s from the US will be spot on.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 9:57am
I would  agree with your logic regarding the bars on the 45rpm strobe disc. It can be done, just needs 133 bars at 2.7 degree intervals and a .9 degree space. Alternatively 400 bars at equal spacing would give the correct indication as every 3rd bar would be picked up as stationary.
Surely, the assumption that the "error" is due to the inability to divide the clock frequencies to exact integers would only apply in this digital age?
The classic Neumann vinyl cutting lathes use/d Lyrec low speed (331/3, 45 and 78 rpm) synchronous motors with 3 different rotors on a common shaft and 3 stators with windings in the same casing. They drive the very heavy turntable via a fluid coupling to reduce motor noise and cogging. Power supply to the motor was direct from the mains.
For me this does raise the question as to how accurate the speed of the orignal master is.

Edited by BackinBlack - 28 Dec 2017 at 10:06am
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Alternatively 400 bars at equal spacing would give the correct indication as every 3rd bar would be picked up as stationary.

Brilliant Clap
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 1:30pm
Thanks, it's just numbers!
No doubt someone who is able with CAD can produce a template.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:25pm
Tried it with my PCB CAD footprint wizard but it will only go to 99.

Instead, I bought a Dynavox strobe disc for around £14 from Amazon, which has 50Hz and 60Hz patterns. I will have a go at making a hand held high brightness LED strobe with both 50Hz and 60Hz flash rates.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic