FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Turntable lid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turntable lid
    Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 6:51pm
I was reading a post which said they were playing records with the lid down on their turntable and they said I know people will say you shouldn't do this as it adds distortion (I know this was not his words) I have always been told you should take the lid off but I have compromised and play with the lid on but open. I did try playing with the lid on and then off but didn't hear any difference. Me being in my 50s may well have something to do with this!!
I can't play a record with the lid on and closed as the tonearm weight hits the lid so I can't say if that would make any difference.
I'm just interested in hearing others opinion on this subject.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:47pm
Of course the reasoning is there will be more acoustic feedback due to the lid being vibrated by the sound of the speakers and this transferring to the platter and am  I am not convinced it is significant. My practical approach is to carefully touch the lid whilst playing  a record and see if I feel any vibrations. Going further to carefully tap the lip with a pencil and listen to the amplified sound. Even on my SL-7 with the tonearm hung from the lid I heard some of the tapping but no boom and no feedback even at high volume. That said I clean my LP's and want to keep the dust off them so it is a compromise for me.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 10:27pm
Also lid on but open, I've never noticed anything unwanted.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:55pm
I'd say do whatever works for you. I've never liked playing records with the lid down personally. That said, I'm sure there are some situations that call for it, or turntables designed to work fine with the lid down while LPs are playing.

My current turntable uses a set-on style dust cover without hinges, so the cover is always removed completely when playing records.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 12:01pm
On my mate's turntable I did hear a difference for the bad with the lid on and closed, This may have been because his is wooden. He made it himself as the lid was an optional extra and he was not prepared to pay what the manufacture wanted, the bass was better but at the cost of the treble. He said he could hear as he described as an echo but I didn't. The track we played was treble heavy and with the lid on it made a good track vary poor sounding.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Blade View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:29am
I prefer lid off or lid up (never down).

It depends how long I am listening for as to whether it comes off or not. Or if I am drunk !!
L*nn Sondek LP12, AT VM750SH MM, Graham Slee Reflex M with PSU1 , Musical Fidelity M5SI, Dynaudio Special 40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic