FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Turntable belt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 11:21am
If it helps you I used a thin electronics wire to measure the same path the belt follows and gave this distance to OL. Most string stretches so picture hanging wire may be a good alternative to what I used. My Michell deck has a moveable motor pod so I was able to experiment afterwards with the motor to bearing distance and therefore the belt tension. I used a newish Android app I got off VE which helped me to balance what sounded good to me with low wow and flutter.

I agree with John's characterisation of the extremes of belt tension.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 9:25pm
Finally had some opportunity for some critical listening with my new OL belt after running in, listening and swapping back.

I started listening seriously with my current Roksan belt on my MRM Source TT I am unsure quite how old it is a few years I guess.

Straight to conclusions yes it is superior, big difference no but significant all the same.

Biggest improvement was vocals, greater clarity, fine detail and openness.  Better and more focused soundstage and ‘live’ sounding with more energy in a good way with greater dynamics.

Low frequencies were more difficult to conclude on.  The overall balance was lighter and possibly more focused but in terms of definition no obvious differences, rhythmically certainly no worse possibly better.

There did appear some house similarities with the OL platter mat albeit without the flaws/colouration.

Since my loan spell with the Accession MC I have certainly enjoyed my vinyl but am aware I have missed some aspects at HF (always a danger in trying something better!).  Some of the improvements with the OL belt did remind me of the Accession MC with the improved clarity and ability to sound less loud and sweeter/cleaner in the vocal ranges and above with improved separation.  Whilst not suggesting the magnitude is as big as the AMC just being descriptive.

Attempting to follow OL advice on allowing further bedding in time after switching over, direct comparisons are more difficult to do justice to both and require a longer listening session which have eluded me until now.

At around £33 it isn’t a huge outlay and worth a punt you have 30 days to try and return.

One final observation mechanically the belt is noisier when starting up maybe as textured but not once up to speed.

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 9:41pm
....whilst I will have a further comparison at a later date I will just sit back another day and enjoy for a while.

I am sure decks will vary by application and belt but happy on mine.  Whilst not wholly concluded I suspect the noise floor was lower also hence the greater fine and low level detail will see...
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 7:58pm
This week I did a speed check on my turntable and the findings were good but this weekend I will be checking the condition of the belt as it is coming up to 5 years old and giving the pulleys a good clean. I have read that a belt needs changing from 5 to 10 years depending on use. So I will see. Any how I will check the speed again even if I just clean the pulleys.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:01pm
I think you'll enjoy having a new belt.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:22pm
And I think I'm due a new one before long...
Jon

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:04pm
I think a new belt will needed and even if not getting one won't be a bad idea, I'd have spare. They don't cost much, I will have to order one and I don't wont to be without the use of my turntable running at it's best.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic