FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tracking force

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 11:04pm
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:42pm
Jon
Do you set your VTF with the balance weight using the scales.
Cheers
Dave
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:46pm
Chris
Are the digital scales one they use for weighing coins.
Cheers
Dave
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:00pm
In reply to both questions...

Set your VTF using the scales - it will be a touch more accurate than the marking on the tonearm counterweight.

I got my scales from Amazon - this looks to be the same as mine http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Long-Playing-Turntable-Tonearm-Cartridge/dp/B00H7WUN10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442577302&sr=8-1&keywords=stylus+gauge
I don't think the scales are the same as those used for weighing coins.

Edited by Chris Firth - 18 Sep 2015 at 1:36pm
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 2:42pm
Thanks Chris
But you still use the tracking force control on the arm  to dial in the weight needed, not the balance weight.
It`s just that i read some where that you can leave the tracking force control on zero and dial in the weight needed with the balance weight.
I am having a hard time balancing the arm at the moment, as the balance weight is so tight.
Will check amazon for the scales.
Thanks
Dave
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:04pm
I've never had an arm with a VTF dial on it.
They've all been move the counterweight affairs.

Hang on a minute - is this what you mean?

Don't trust them - the scales will be more accurate.

Edited by Chris Firth - 18 Sep 2015 at 3:10pm
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 8:37pm
Hi Chris
On the arm in the picture, the tracking weight is set by the dial on the back of the arm, the flat dial is the anti skating.
 You set the tracking force on The Planar 2 (RB250) that i have with the counter balance weight, and this a doddle to set up, the tracking force knob on the rp3 is on the side of the arm.
The balance weight on the rp3 is as stiff as hell, and i can not get the arm to float properly.
I have watched two vids on utube one by what hifi, and both balance weights appear to move a lot easier. 
At least one reviewer on the net stated it took him 2 hours to set up, the balance weight was that stiff, my be some balance weights are stiffer than others, and you have to be careful as the arm moves a lot.
The rp3 set up. cock up, is all over the web.
Sorry for the long ramble.
Cheers
Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic