FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Got me some new (old) speakers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got me some new (old) speakers!
    Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 4:28pm
hi folks

Just drunkenly bought some 90s speakers on eBay.

TDL Studio 1s transmission line jobbies. 

Be interested to swap out the speakers in both A & B systems. 

Heard good things about these little speakers. Need a lot of decent  amplification by all accounts. 

Annoyingly need to buy new speaker cables as the TDLs have the binding posts right at the top & the MAs gave them half way up! Frustratingly just 25cm too short!

Anyone use Van Damme speaker cables?

Heard good things. 

Will report back

Edited by Old skool - 06 Mar 2019 at 4:29pm
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:40pm
Congratulations Tim, they were pretty good speakers in their heyday. I'd suggest checking the current appearance of the drivers and any obvious distortion or odd noises then the overall sound to assess what needs doing.

It's worth looking up or measuring the driver specs before any swapping out so you can match up to the cabinet design.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:30am
Seller claims they sound as good as the day he got them back in 1993. 🤔

All original. No re capping. I wonder how you’d match the Driver specs these days??

Could be that nothing needs doing?

Well I shan’t be paying until I’ve heard them singing. 
I think so....
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 9:14am
That's great, you have some fine speakers at a good price Tim. If the two speakers sound alike and give you enjoyable stereo sound the job is done!

Despite being a tweaker of my own kit, my advice to others is almost always "if it ain't broke don't fix it." However if you want to delve deeper into driver specs I've written this elsewhere on the forum so apologies for repeating. Provided you can easily remove the drivers without any damage and disconnect the wires from them, you can probably run cables directly from each driver's + and - connectors and out of the enclosure (via a reflex tube or TL opening or using the speaker terminals on the rear panel) to test gear. This has to be done with care but allows a wide range of electrical and mechanical measurements to be made on each driver. Don't do this unless you plan to change something inside. Make sure anything you do is reversible and can be done safely with your skillset and toolkit.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 11:10am
I’m afraid my skill set doesn’t stretch to testing crossovers or drive units! If it does grate when you (very carefully) push the driver inwards & it sounds good then that’s about my limit. 

Seen a place that rebuilds speakers. Voice coils, cones, the lot. 
Been doing it for many decades. 
If there’s a problem that’s where they’ll go unless there’s a modern upgrade option. 
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 11:28am
Have to say it’s sounding great in here as it is. 
If it ain’t broke n all that. Doh. 

Well, anyway, the TDLs are coming as are new dual runs of copper cables to replace the QED Silver Anniversary bi wire which I’ve never liked and was a beatch to strip & terminate. 

Had to go budget. Couldn’t afford GS cable I’m afraid 😟 
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:24am
Well I’m liking the new TDLs.  Different in a nice way. 
Not finding I want the REL on much. 
They sound fine but being early 90s vintage one wonders if they are sounding their best? 🤔
No point of reference as I never heard them back in the day. 
The bass is definitely more articulate, musical, if not overly prodigious. 

I know people actually do use these as Studio Monitors (according to some other HiFi forums), so maybe they’re just less coloured than I’m used to?

I foolishly made too many changes at once: speakers, speaker cables & interconnects. 
Not exactly sure what’s doing what?

I think so....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic