FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tonearms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tonearms
    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 3:51pm
There has been a lot of chatter about the benefits or otherwise of MM, MC cartridges, the impact of phono stages etc but very little on the choice of and impact of arms in the debate.

It has been some time since I have auditioned different arms, firstly around 35 years ago when moving from a Mission 774 (original I use today) to a Zeta and more recently at the dealer when I bought my EGV & Elevator and Dynavector MC.

The Koetsu black at the time comprehensively wiped the floor of the Ortofon VMS2/30E at the time (not surprisingly given the cost).  The Koetsu wasn't best suited to the low mass Mission but when the Mission was replaced by the Zeta the Mission at the time sounded quite small and a little coloured etc by comparison and the Zeta allowed the already far superior sound to blossom and whilst not tried also suspect the high mass Zeta would have negatively impacted on the VMS range. 

Back to HiFi Sound I Stockton, with the EGV & EXP firmed up along with my Dynavector I then listed to the original OL Silver, Techno and Roksan unipivot.  Interesting comparison on the 2 Rega based arms and also the Unipivot which all had attractions and otherwise. 

Whilst I suspect the compatibility between arms/cartridges has minimised over recent years as designs of both have converges in some areas I still suspect that some MCs are better suited to certain arms than some MMs and vice a versa.

Is it possible that some of the comparisons between the MM/MC going on at the moment may not be wholly reflective of the cartridges (both ways) due to preferences of the cartridges for certain types of arms?

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:32am
There could be something in that Richard. I would agree on my limited experience with the 4 arms and various MM/MC cartridges I have tried in my system in recent years. Aside from the arm resonance frequency we can check by putting effective mass and cartridge compliance into a formula, I've found some of my cartridges benefit from a headshell weight. My 103 definitely does and I preferred the sound of the Zyx R100 that way. Resonance control in the arm would be another consideration as well as its condition e.g. bearings.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 3:12pm
I have a mass ring on the counterweight and also finger lift which have increased mass on the mission
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic