FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tonearm cartridge wire removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tonearm cartridge wire removal
    Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:28am
Hi all,
The AN 3 tonearm has extremely fine silver wiring to the cartridge tags & I fear damaging
it when changing the cartridge.
I was thinking that the safest way to avoid breaking anything would be to remove the arm
from the turntable first & then tackling the cartridge wiring tags with tweezers viewed
under a magnifier.
Can anyone recommend a better way?
Thanks.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:39pm
I suspectc my Audiomods has similar wiring and yes they are very fine.  My suggestion would be to try and shift one with some fine long nose pliers on the pins whilst holding the cartridge:headshell tightly ideally with stylus guts in place. have they been in place for some time?

In removing the arM you may get improved access but you will still have to support and grip the whole kit which then moves in every plane!

I know detachable headshells can be a good idea...  good luck 

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 1:02pm
The cartridge wiring - to an Ortofon Cadenza Blue - has been in place for about 4 years
and I remember a few tricky moments when installing it.Shocked
The Cadenza's pins are also quite close together & recessed which adds to the delicate nature
of the job.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a tentative go with it on the turntable first.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 5:00am
That does seem an awkward cartridge to access the leads.
I agree with Richard about using needlenose pliers.
I use them to grip the lead over the insulation immediately behind the pin and while holding the cartridge firmly in one hand and the pliers in the other, use the thumb of the hand holding the cartridge to gently push against the plier jaws.
This method removes the risk of a sudden jerk on the lead.
It may be easier to remove the cartridge mountings screws and secure the arm in its rest.
Both hands may then be steadied on the TT deck (assuming that it has one).
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, the stylus guard is an invaluable asset in this exercise.

Tony G
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:11am
I agree on the use of needle nose pliers. However, if you are happy installing cartridges, I would only completely remove one of the cartridge screws and slightly loosen the other, that way you should be able to carefully rotate the cartridge 90 degrees clockwise and have much easier access to the pins. Obviously, the arm should be locked into position first and any stylus guard fitted (if there is one)
Derek
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

It may be easier to remove the cartridge mountings screws and secure the arm in its rest.

This is my preferred method. I have a Cadenza Bronze so the body will be identical to the Blue. Fitting on my OL arm is somewhat fiddly so I use a pair of Tweezerman Point Tweezers to remove/connect the tags, gripping the rear of the insulation material where it tapers. 
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:45am
using the right tools is important so give no tour investment may Be worth spending a few quid on some decent quality pliers etc rather than raiding an old tool box and making do 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic