FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tonearm cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:40am
It could be a solution Jon, but it’s a bit too DIYy for me.

I currently have another plinth related problem to deal with that is concerning me. Due to a misunderstanding about my plinth modification spec., I’ve ended up with a plinth with threaded inserts for feet that only accommodate up to 7.5mm of thread length. Not helpful for levelling a plinth on a very unlevel shelf.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 3:35pm
Hi Ifor
Can't remember where I saw them but there are adjustable isolation pads out there, the ones I saw were made for Rega turntables but they could be used for any turntable, they were round and had a screw thread for adjustment. The only thing I can remember was I thought that they were expensive (I think £40 £50 each) but I bet there are others out there at a more reasonable price. These may give you a  little more adjustment for levelling
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 5:27pm
Hi Jon, i've looked, but not yet found anything I care for, but happy to be pointed at any ideas/recommendations.  I'm wanting quite a low profile.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
R66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

[QUOTE=Graham Slee]The 5-pin arm plugs must be the worst idea in the world 
Why so bad?

The location pip makes last, after you probably bent the weak pins as you try and rotate the cable socket to find a way that goes in. At the same time, you're struggling to hold the arm corner of the turntable up to do all this, and the arm breaks free of its rest, and the stylus pirouettes to its destruction.

And if you do manage it, then on some popular turntables, using a non-standard arm, the back of the cable socket wants to be several mm's lower than the bottom of the feet!

And if, like me, you were brought up in the nuts and bolts of real engineering, certain expletives rapidly come to mind, and sometimes leak out. Wink
Hi Graham, Your comments on the near universal 5 pin din style Tone arm plug seem to be all based around its durability and the fact that some people just cant handle a suspended chassis T.T. something i would expect to see expressed more from the USA than the UK. There is no excuse that clumsiness should be a factor here. As someone who has used a variety of these T.T. and still owns a L*nn Sondek with a 1980 L*nn Ittok arm the cable interface is still perfect, so i have never experienced
what you mention. As far as as non standard fitment issues you need to research as for all Hi-Fi products or simply pack the feet up. The most important element here is the transfer quality of the 
connector and Din at low MC millivolts is hard to beat, audibly better than the bulk of a RCA one.
What i really detest is the cop out trend of fitting RCA junction boxes to the back of T.T.s great for the signal path! and leaving the buyer to come up with a cable that suits the job and that is not really 
what you would use between Pre and Power. You then find that nearly all after market Tone Arm cables
come with a 5 pin din. The Manufacturer wriggles out of failing to do the job properly in the first place
with the weak excuse we want you to have a choice.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by R66 R66 wrote:

There is no excuse that clumsiness should be a factor here.

There is with me Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
R66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

[QUOTE=R66]There is no excuse that clumsiness should be a factor here.

There is with me Wink
I think that is why they make Stylus guards after some accidents mine goes on straight after 
the last record. RELIGIOUSLY!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic