FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tonearm cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 12:40pm
So, Graham, it seems that your recommendation, in spite of your dislike of 5-pin plugs, is to have John make me a cable, as short as I can get away with, from 5-pin plugged tonearm to switch box. Have I got that right?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

So, Graham, it seems that your recommendation, in spite of your dislike of 5-pin plugs, is to have John make me a cable, as short as I can get away with, from 5-pin plugged tonearm to switch box. Have I got that right?

Although I didn't want to say so, it looks like it. Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Although I didn't want to say so, it looks like it. Wink
Thank you.
Ifor
=====
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:40pm
FWIW I built a tonearm cable for my SME IV using a good OFC mic cable and prefer it to the stock cable. It has phono plugs at one end and a 5 pin connector at the other. The cable choice was in part because I couldn't get two coax cables to meet at the 5 pin mini-DIN plug and didn't want to hang a pair of phono sockets off it.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 3:32pm
Jeff must get lots of requests for longer captive cables with the Series 6 - I had almost exactly the same reply from Jeff when asking about a longer cable a few months ago.Smile

After a bit of shuffling the turntable about, the original 0.9m cable is now long enough but I did
try Audioquest RCA-RCA adaptors and extra cables for a while which worked reasonably well.
Whether routing the miniscule signals from an MC cartridge through this sort of lash-up is any better than a switch box or 5 pin connector arrangement is unknown...

Edited by RichW - 25 Mar 2021 at 4:04pm
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 4:07pm
Thank Jon & Rich, I don’t know what length I need yet, but I’ll almost certainly go with a separate, flexible tonearm cable.
Ifor
=====
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:57pm
Would chassis sockets help Ifor? I took the internal arm leads to phono sockets for a friend's turntable (MM cartridge) then Cusats from there. I twisted the internal cables as a compromise, but it's not shielding!

You'll rarely find a tall man saying shorter is better but I think it applies to stereo cables on turntables, avoiding a large weight hanging off the arm base as much as the extra capacitance. I ended up with shelves at different levels rather than a circular table but keeping down to a metre drop lead would be my advice.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic