FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tone Controls Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Poll Question: Who'd Want Tone Controls On A Preamp?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [56.72%]
29 [43.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 6:06pm
I voted yes, provided that they don't degrade audio quality and probably have a subtle effect at the extremes of the audio spectrum. I know that the mixing engineers know what they're doing when the record/cd/whatever is produced but what you hear in your own listening room is never going to be exactly the same. Plus some recordings don't seem to be done right in the first place. 

A Linn Kolektor I have seems to have reasonable bass/treble controls, though I've never used the full adjustment range of either.

I'm sure Graham knows what he's doing and wouldn't add anything to the Aria that would degrade the sound or reduce its value. Everything else suggested for the Aria as regards inputs/outputs sounds spot-on.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

I can't vote either, but my vote would be in favour of tone controls, providing they can bypassed or set truly flat. A little correction to some sources would be a desirable thing and as Miguel notes some correction for room acoustics may also be beneficial.

Ian

I think Ian has persuaded me. A real hi-fi tone control by GSP that can be switched off or set flat would be ideal.

Jon

Edited by Fatmangolf - 09 Jan 2013 at 8:18pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 10:06pm
I voted no.
If needed then, in my opinion, their only use is to make up for deficiencies in the system.
Next step, a "loudness" button!Smile
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by oldagetraveller oldagetraveller wrote:

I voted no.
If needed then, in my opinion, their only use is to make up for deficiencies in the system.
Next step, a "loudness" button!Smile
How about deficiencies in the source - thin sounding LPs from the 80s, or early CDs who's treble sets your teeth on edge?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 11:38pm
That is what I'd use the controls for too.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 7:08am

I voted yes, despite that I do not currently have such.  

IIRC early CDs were mastered with a pre emphasis that was handled by the decoding circuits of the CD players of the time, when those CDs are played back as computer stored files the de-emphasis handling is absent from the replay chain.

A tone control would provide simple "on the fly" compensation, the alternative being some rather geeky digital manipulation of the file either in an audio editing application or a DSP plugin in the replay software.

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 7:33am
I wuld agree that in a "good" system the use of tone controls should not be necessary. However, no matter how good the system, sometimes it would be good to correct/enhance the balance of the original source or correct for room effects. Radio broadcasts, for instance, are often "enhanced" to supposely sound better on portable or car radios, some vinyl also suffers from unnatural "enhancement" or compression. The application of a little correction can make these sources a more pleasurable experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic