FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

To upgrade the Technics SL1200 or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 26>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I still have simple upgrades such as the lid removal, and phono lead replacements to do.

Don't forget to disable the pitch control - it takes a minute to do, and it brings a better level of sound quality than you'd expect it to.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:27pm
Just need to bypass it with a molex connector?

Edited by CageyH - 15 Oct 2013 at 12:46pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:46pm
Yup!
Just need a molex connector.
They're commonly found on computer motherboards for connecting the CMOS battery.
If you've got an old, dead computer around just whip the lid off and have a look.
That's what I did :-)

Edited by Chris Firth - 15 Oct 2013 at 12:46pm
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:47pm
Superb. Thanks.
I'll give it a go when I fit my PSU.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:56pm
I wouldn't personally go piling in a load of changes all at once - you'll have no idea of what part does what.
As I said earlier, it'll take just one minute, two at most to disable the pitch control, and that's taking the platter off, pulling the connection lead of the main control board, pushing the molex link into position and replacing the platter.

I have of course forgotten one thing - I've removed the plastic cover beneath the platter, so you'd need to remove that first, which might add another couple of minutes.
I didn't refit mine because I never go under the bonnet without disconnecting the mains first Smile
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:16pm
Yes, do it gradually and you'll hear the changes. Relocating the mains transformer* outside the case into an insulated box will reduce vibration and induced hum. It also frees up the mains switch as a strobe disable should you wish to do this.

*This is dangerous unless you or an engineer know what you are doing. If not a safer option is an aftermarket (self contained) PSU that supplies the 21V DC to the Technics circuit board.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 4:05pm
It seems like I have wasted loads of money, and should have read this first...
Top 10 turntables

Edited by CageyH - 24 Oct 2013 at 4:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 26>
  Share Topic