FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

To upgrade the Technics SL1200 or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To upgrade the Technics SL1200 or not?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:43pm
I am pondering if I should upgrade my Technics deck, as I feel I can get more out of it.
It's relatively standard. Only changes are Isonoe feet and an achromat platter mat.
I have an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge on the standard arm, which is being replaced soon - (I have still not made up my mind about which one I should get).

The question is, where is the money best spent on this deck to improve the sound quality?
I have read that I should replace the power supply (or at least remove it from inside the case).
People also mention the Mike New bearing. Is this really worth the cost?

I guess I am after people's experience of upgrading he Technics, and to gain from their experiences.
I have a few projects on at he moment, so I need to spend wisely, hence the questions.

Edited by CageyH - 06 Oct 2013 at 8:43pm
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 9:41pm
The Mike New bearing is a serious upgrade from the stock item, and although expensive it is worth the outlay.
You can however improve the stock bearings performance by putting an O ring in the bearing well.

You could try damping the platter with BluTack in the magnet boss.

Removing the transformer & PSU and fitting it in an external case is very worthwhile too.

Disconnecting the pitch control and putting a molex link across pins is a really easy and effective tweak

The only thing I am not qualified to talk about is the stock arm, as I bought my deck armless. I currently have a Jelco 750D fitted, and it's a really good arm which also looks right on the SL-12xx.

I have done all of the stuff I've mentioned, and added Isonoe feet and boots, and an Achromat, and they've all been beneficial.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 9:58pm
Yes is the quick answer IMO. I followed the lead of others on this forum and have upgraded my SL1210 mark 2.

The Mike New bearing is highly regarded but I haven't done it myself. I replaced my bearing with the Timestep one but found first that just stripping and relubricating the stock bearing made it quieter (and the unpowered platter spun longer when manually spun). So that is a cheap improvement to consider if you don't want to buy one of the (very good) replacement bearings.

The Achromat 1200 is a definite improvement from the stock mat. I have a well used second hand one if you are interested as I now have an Oyaide mat.

First of all I took Graham's advice and got the stock transformer out of the 1210 and into a plastic box. Do this first if you can. I then rewired the arm which helped.

I subsequently fitted an Origin Live arm, better but it is several times the cost of the second hand SL1210 deck. I also used some online resources e.g. the schematic and PCB track shots to fit separate IC regulators to all the various circuits on the PCB. About £50 well spent on parts if you can do this work and I added a high current SMPS with a low noise regulator to feed the 21 volt supply for another £60.

A lot of my information came from Graham Slee and Tony (tg) so I hope they will chip in with their advice.

The Isonoes are very good.

This thread may be of interest - Click here

Edited by Fatmangolf - 06 Oct 2013 at 10:03pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 10:07am

Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I have an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge on the standard arm, which is being replaced soon

Unsure from this whether it is the arm or the cartridge you are contemplating changing.

IMO upgrading the cartridge will give the most improvement at present.

Changing the arm loses a lot of the convenience factor of the stock deck.

One reason many have changed the arm is to run cartridges (specifically the Denon DL-103) which the stock arm does not handle so well, I have run a DL-103 on the stock arm and did not find it as good as on my other deck with a Michell Tecnoarm.

I have re-wired the stock arm on mine which I thought to be an improvement, YMMV

There is a lot of info on the "Art of Sound" forum re mods to the Technics.

Depending on how far you want to go, the Funk firm Technics mods could be worth considering, but as with the other bearing, psu, platter and arm mods it is worth comparing the total cost to what might be available as a complete alternative deck.

Modding is great fun and can be done a little at a time, but the end result may not represent the best VFM for the total outlay.

Something like a Goldring 1042 or a Denon DL-110 and one of Grahams phono stages might be the most cost effective mods.

The KAB damper trough for the stock arm has had good reports and Audio Origami could rewire the stock arm for you.

Have fun and enjoy the music.

Tony G
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 11:05am
I've only carried out fairly minor surgery on my SL1210 Mk2. I don't have the courage to start removing power supplies etc.!
I found the Funk Achromat a worthwhile initial step. I then replaced the "stock" arm with a basic Origin Live and modified counterweight assembly plus the Rega height adjustment collar (bit of a fiddle getting the arm height correct though!). As Tony has mentioned it, I absolutely love the Denon DL-110 (high output) moving coil cartridge which works very well on the OL arm, plus the resistor addition, thanks Tony. No need to use a dedicated MC phono amp. with that either.
I think that's as far as I want to go with any mods, for now Ermm.
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 1:51pm
The biggest drawback with the Technics IMO is the hum you get when using cartridges like the Music Maker (OK, I know that sounds mad but Len Gregory who makes the Music Makers is OK with it).

I believe it is the mains transformer which induces the hum into the cartridge.

Jon has removed the transformer on his, making it remote, and I didn't (naughty!), so he will be able to answer as to whether it gets rid of the hum.

If it is so, then that's one less thing to worry about in choosing a moving magnet or moving iron cartridge.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 3:37pm
Thanks for the replies.
It is the cartridge I am looking at replacing soon. I am just unsure of which one. I have had some help choosing already, but there are just so many to choose from! So far I have fitted the Achromat, Isonoe feet, and have just literally received some Techniboots for a trial (I am listening to Quadrophenia right now with them fitted - initial impressions are that they add to the definition and separation of the soundstage).
For the next next jobsI was thinking of removing the transformer, and either fitting a Pual Hynes SR5 (if I can find a cheap one), or one of the MCRU regulated power supplies. Does this give a noticeable improvement over externalising the transformer?

I'll have to wait until next year for a Mike New Bearing. After that, I will have to decide on either a tone arm or platter upgrade.
The Jelco 750-D seems to be a good match, but I am sure there are others out there worth considering closer to the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
  Share Topic