FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thoughts on upgrade paths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Razamanaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razamanaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on upgrade paths
    Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:38pm
Hi all,
I have a Gram Amp 2 SE that I bought in 2017. In 2018, we got 2 kittens and one of them had a thing for chewing on cables which ultimately gave me reason to upgrade to a PSU-1 (it also taught me to manage and protect my cables).
I've been extremely happy with this setup (still am!), but have now upgraded my amp and speakers. This has me thinking it might be time to also upgrade the phono stage.
My turntable is a vintage Lenco L75. It's in great condition and has had some minor tweaks. It is fitted with a Nagaoka MP-110. Downstream from the GA2SE I have a Hegel H90 integrated amplifier and a pair of Dynaudio Evoke 20 loudspeakers. 
I listen to many types of music: Different types of rock and metal, jazz and other acoustic music and even some electronic stuff.
I've been looking at the Reflex and the Accession, thinking about which one would be more appropriate. The cartridge might be upgraded (I like the Nagaoka, so thinking I might move up the MP chain), but other than that the rest of the system is likely to remain unaltered for the foreseeable future.
I'm aware of the loaner program, but any pointers would be appreciated. Is the Accession "overkill" for me? I don't think the alternate EQ's is a feature I'll use much (although my record collection has taken unexpected turns in the past so I guess you never know), but maybe it could be worth the extra money regardless of that?

Thanks for your time.

Simon
Simon

"And some people say it's just rock n' roll
Oh, but it gets you right down to your soul"

(Push The Sky Away, Nick Cave)
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 7:32am
I use an Accession with my PTP6 L75 and have also used a Reflex M. So IMO neither are overkill.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Razamanaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razamanaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

I use an Accession with my PTP6 L75 and have also used a Reflex M. So IMO neither are overkill.
Thanks for your reply. What type of arm and cartridge do you use? I know this is a difficult question, but is it possible to describe the difference between the Reflex and the Accession? Is it a question of refinement and detail, or are they also somehow different in character? 
Simon

Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 4:26pm
Razamanaz, I tried a Reflex M with a Nagaoka MP 200 (actually a mp150 with 200 stylus) and it sounded wonderful, so much more musical than the Pro***t Phono  Box it was to replace.  In the end I bought an Accession M because I wanted to use the additional variable phono output for vinyl archiving. From my listening, I couldn't say the Accession is better than the Reflex if you don't want the additional features but it has been well worthwhile for my usage.

Mike
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Razamanaz Razamanaz wrote:

Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Thanks for your reply. What type of arm and cartridge do you use? I know this is a difficult question, but is it possible to describe the difference between the Reflex and the Accession? Is it a question of refinement and detail, or are they also somehow different in character? 
The PTP6 L75 has been used with a Rega RB301 and Audio Note IQ2 cartridge. The arm will be replaced in July by an Audiomods Series 6. I’ve never tried to compare the Reflex and the Accession. I got the Accession, unplugged the Reflex and gave it to my son to replace his Genera (I now have two Genera I built doing nothing). The biggest wow I’ve ever got from buying a new bit of kit was when I bought the Reflex M and stopped using the phonostage built into my then (now my son’s) Roksan Kandy LIII, but you’re starting at a higher level than I did.

Edited by ICL1P - 21 May 2021 at 5:41pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Razamanaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razamanaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 7:14pm
Thank you both. Always interesting to hear how others have done it. I think what it tells me is what part of me knew already: I'll have to try to get a loan of both to see how they work in my system.
Considering how good the Gram Amp 2 SE is, it's exciting to think what could be achieved at the higher price ranges of The Reflex and the Accession.
Simon

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 9:17am
Hi Simon,
FWIW I use an Accession MM with a Music Master cartridge from the late Len Gregory & it works
superbly on all types of music - give it a good acoustic or classical recording & it really shows
what it can do.
The Reflex is well worth a try too & is a bit of a bargain.
Good luck with the trial.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic