FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

Thinking about a 1200G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:37pm
Hi Jon

I have owned an SL1200G since last January & use various MM carts with it via the Accession M. I can recommend a few:

My favourite will always be the Audio Note IQ3 but this is going to be a bit beyond the budget you mention. However you could get an IQ1 (same body) and pair it with a Goldring 1042 stylus - it fits as the IQs are made by Goldring under license & sounds quite similar to the next in range IQ2 (also very good & close to the IQ3).

Likewise the Roksan Corus Black or Silver, again Goldring derivatives & once again sound excellent with the 1042 stylus (I use a Black/1042 or sometimes Black/1012 combo a lot on my 1200G, probably more than anything else). There were one of each of these carts on ebay when I just checked. 

I like the 2M Black on the Technics but it is very fussy to setup, especially azimuth. Once aligned correctly it has a beautiful sound, in my opinion only bettered by the IQ3. I hear no 'resonance' issues with the Ortofon, nor in fact with an AT150ANV & 150Sa stylus which would be similar to a VM750SH. Both are excellent & match well to the 1200G.

As far as 'hum' & MI, I also have a Grado Prestige II cartridge with various styli & in spite of what you may read about this brand, it is absolutely silent & all stylus derivatives have a silky midrange, albeit more laid back than any of the others I mentioned above.

One final comment - a pair of CuSat 0.6m interconnects between the G & Accession produces very silky treble so I guess the capacitance is a perfect match at the 100pf setting.

Enjoy your new table....
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
JonThurston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
Hi Andrew

thanks so much for your detailed reply - funnily enough I'd just got to page 24 of the other mammoth 33 page Technics thread on here, where you compare your SL1200G with your orange Rega!

(Will continue tonight to work my way to page 33!)

Good news on the MI - as I've a hankering to try one of Mr Gregory's MM3s - but had noted pre-SL1200G that Jon, Graham and others had noted hum with their modded/rebuilt older 1200s.

Also - thanks for the advice re. the CuSats.

Happy new year to you,

Jon.
Technics SL 1200G w/AT VM750SH - CuSat50 - Accession MM - Marantz PM6006 - ULDE - Sennheiser HD600 - Monitor Audio Bronze 5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic