FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Reflex Loaner Arrived!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:49am
Hi Dan, and Happy Easter.

The volume control on the Accession is basically an attenuation device (I hope I've got this right, Graham!). Full on and you get the same output as the fixed outputs. I use my variable output for feeding an ADC for ripping. If you set the volume on your AVR for just above the maximum you'd want to have it, using the Accession volume control you could adjust the volume to suit.

I use a range of cartridges with my Accession (and Elevator EXP step-up) - including Kiseki Blue NS, Ortofon Synergy GM SPU, Soundsmith Zephyr Star, Zyx R100, Hana EL, AT33Mono, Nagaoka MP-300, Sumiko BPS EVO III, SAE1000E and LT, Osawa OS301, Acutex STR312, Shure M35X, Thomas Schick Das MM plus various p-mounts. 

You can hear all of these on my little YouTube channel: 
(some videos use the Reflex M with and without the Elevator, and one uses Graham's Era Gold V) 

Edit: I see Graham posted while I was writing this, and I did get it right!

Edited by morris_minor - 01 Apr 2018 at 9:52am
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
08Boss302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Boss302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 12:00pm
Thank you all for the responses

Graham:
thank you taking the time on Easter to respond!! Amazing.  I wont even pretend to understand Poles and Zeros, BUT, I will gladly enjoy the fruits of your wisdom and skills!! Smile
All I know is that I am genuinely enjoying the Reflex continually.  Today I switched from Direct mode to Pure Direct on my AVR and it was like the sound stage grew 10feet wider, the fun never stops.  If the Accession plays like this and then some it'll be the last purchase I need in phono amps.

Bob;
is that your clips i've been watching and enjoying!!!
Just the other day I was watching the clip with the sumiko BPS Evo III and loved the sound of it through my PC so in the room must be an absolute Joy.  That cart would require a step up I believe so I'd be inclined to grab a Nagaoka MP 300 or 500 first and trial that.   I wouldnt do that until the Garrot Bros has had its time though, the project carbon arm requires a full sit and re align, not just a quick replace like my Technics player.  

i'll go through your clips closely tomorrow for the use of hte Reflex and the Accession.  I've also just enquired to Keith on the time frame and availabilty of the Accession - last i checked it was quite a wait.  Ultimately if i had them both for a weekend (even a day would do) then the decision would be easy and certain.

first world problems i guess hahah

cheers
Dan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 12:28pm
Dan - a simple way to determine which videos use which phono amp is to use the labels on my blog posts: (Note to self - I must create YT playlists to do this . . . Wink)

The Sumiko BPS EVO  III is a high output MC so doesn't need a step up. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to find how balanced it was - I'd been expecting a lean and rather etched sound. Not the case at all, though there's plenty of detail via the Accession.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
08Boss302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Boss302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 12:30pm
sweet, thanks Bob,
i'll get onto this tomorrow.
and re the Sumiko, thats great to know because i really liked what i heard.  that might jump close to top of the list when the Garrot is up...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 12:32pm
You're welcome Dan!

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
08Boss302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Boss302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:58am
Wow, I am really enjoying the Sumiko, the MP300 and the Zephyr.  The Zephyr here is over $2k so unlikely i'll get that anytime soon but given i have an MP110 i might grab the Sumiko sometime soon rather than having two Nagaoka carts

listening to the blogs and given its through my pc speakers i still cant see my self going wrong either way.

my ears tell me and i am happy to corrected but when you listen to something like Erykah Badu or Spiro Gyra, fleetwood mac, christopher cross etc everything just sounds wider and deeper and fuller.  Now i dont know how much of that is your set up and im confident your set up far outplays mine but the tracks that REALLY did it for me were the Christopher Cross track and the jean Michel Jarre track, the bullitt soundtrack, john campbell, lightning head - those tracks playing through the Accession were just awesome. of course Green Day gave me a glimpse of some distorted guitar etc too.  Good thing was for me they also had different carts which meant it wasnt a particular cart i was attracted to.  I could be wrong but the EXP wont change the sound it just provides the kick the LOMC needs yeah?  Alot of these used the Elevator hence the question.

The Ed sheeran song on the reflex sounded great too - actually a fun song to listen too!!  But if i was to be honest with myself all the songs no matter the genre had an appeal with the Accession and then going to the Reflex dare i say i was left wanting that bit more again?  Not sure if that is fair as I am in-amid with the Reflex here at home on the loaner and need to be careful your set up hasnt wowed me more than the pre amp hahah

Things seem to be leaning more toward the Accession right now

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:54am
Wow! You have been having a trawl through the videos! (That would explain the spike in my hits Wink).

You're right in saying the Elevator just gives the kick for LOMC - it's essentially neutral. Wider, deeper, fuller is exactly how I'd characterise the Accession, which basically just connects you closer to the music.

The Accession does of course have additional features over the Reflex - variable output, mono switch, different EQ settings. So I guess these may affect your decision somewhat. Keep us posted!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic