FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Audio Science Review Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:13pm
Thanks very much Jon. Thumbs Up

So Graham, if the ferrite position is essentially the end of one circuit and the beginning of another, would it not be wiser to place the next ferrite at the same distance again, to attenuate the fundamental frequency rather than its second harmonic?? The amplitude of the fundamental is also higher than that of subsequent harmonics so more to attenuate?

With all the expense of setting up speakers for optimum performance and reference sound, perhaps £3.5k MySphere is a more sensible choice? An expensive investment but backed up with plenty of R+D and extensive sound measurement techniques.

Edited by Ash - 14 Jul 2020 at 7:27pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 10:58pm
@ Jon: I wouldn't even try to measure frequency vs amplitude, because the cable reflections will swamp any theoretical attenuation. It is theory after all.

@ Ash: Where a second ferrite is used, the first ferrite is for the upper frequency. The origin for the lower frequency is still at the cable start.

The 2nd harmonic will peak in the middle of the filter frequency's first quadrant, and so, theoretically also be attenuated to a lesser degree.

Hint: wavelength is in inverse proportion to frequency. Higher frequency - shorter wavelength.

For the USB, I decided not to try 100MHz due to the possibility of "rounding-off" the properties of (what should be) the squarewaves. The FFT of a squarewave being the fundamental and all its whole number odd harmonics.

But all this is theory anyway, although I would like to be able to measure it one day.

Edited by Graham Slee - 14 Jul 2020 at 10:59pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:19am
Yeah, otherwise with digital, you may find yourself attenuating the signal rather than the interference.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:53am
This thread certainly has veered off course somewhat...did we not begin by discussing Audio Science Review..? Wink

That said, interesting stuff although much of it goes over my head...Embarrassed
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by capetownwatches capetownwatches wrote:

This thread certainly has veered off course somewhat...did we not begin by discussing Audio Science Review..? Wink

That said, interesting stuff although much of it goes over my head...Embarrassed

Like the science and logic goes over the heads of those at Audio Science Review. Geek
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:31pm
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:54pm
No.
Not a forum I look at often, as they are purely measurement based.
In their reviews, they never listen to it.

With my HiFi, I do the opposite.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
  Share Topic