FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics linear trackers like SL-7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 10:17am
So far so good.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:30pm
Yes it has definitely reduced the heat buildup.

Today I fitted the replacement drop leads. After disconnecting the stock cables I measured them, 99pF amongst other things. I think my home built cables sound better, more natural and good sound field.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:03am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

All my vinyl ripping is done with my SL-7. I don’t have to be there to lift the arm at end of a side.

Great tip Ifor. It is so convenient to rip using the SL-7 as it stops itself. No stylus wear if left running and it's easy to trim the dead section from the recording.
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 9:39am
Having used a 12v supply for a few weeks I like the SL-7 running much cooler with no static. I removed the mains cable and have a figure 8 socket I may fit at some point.

My next small project is to clean, re-lubricate, and recalibrate the linear tracking tonearm.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:26pm
That was always a goal. Last weekend I cleaned the steel bar that the tonearm moves along and I'm glad I did as some dirt came off it! I am not not hearing a difference but am glad to have tackled it.

After a lot of reading up I decided I to take a look at the arm sensor and its motor servo settings. It turned out on my SL-7 that the high reading is under 2 volts, nothing like the 15v suggested by the service manual. More importantly the arm sensor was not in the right place so the arm in central position was giving the maximum voltage 1.22 volts. I fixed that with a 1.5mm Allen key and then started on the servo amp settings. That involved a leap of faith without the 1mm test record which I and others expect to be the arm movement per second so essentially the pitch rather than the thickness of the disk. I used an unmodulated test track and my estimated target voltage for a more normal record of under 0.1mm per second. Then tested the tracking at +12dB which was clean and a few records which sounded pretty good too. So did the second goal!

Edited by Fatmangolf - 09 Oct 2021 at 8:29pm
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:06pm
In another thread I shared an obvious tip of using the Accession switch from standard RIAA to USA as a 2dB treble cut. Maybe I have adapted to the crisp sound of the AT cartridge or it has matured but I am enjoying the standard setting more now. I haven't used the big deck (Michel Gorbe/SME IV/Hana SL for some weeks which is quite telling. I will be doing some comparisons this weekend to check it's not just ease of use!

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:45pm
Technics linear trackers have caught my interest. I bought a just working SL-DL5 last month and started an overhaul. Built a replacement for the bent cue bar and relubed the arm rail after cleaning it. That made me certain my SL-7 had been serviced as its arm belt wasn't egg shaped and the lubricant was reasonably clean. The DL5 has my AT85 cartridge and works fine now. I like the sleek full width casing but the SL-7 sounds better and the compact design has won me over!

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>
  Share Topic