New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 37>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:39pm
Welcome to the forum Howard!

The simple answers to your questions are 1) any and 2) yes!

Graham's phono amps work superbly with every turntable and cartridge I've owned. I'd say get the best you can afford. Are you from Canada? If so you can take advantage of this forum's loan scheme to try equipment out at home for free.

As far as cartridges go, do you own a Shure or Nagaoka cartridge? Both will give their best with a GS phono amp, but the same is true of just about anything else, too. Matching the cartridge to your tonearm would be the main priority.

You can hear a Nagaoka MP-300 with the top-of-the-range Accession here:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
howard z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howard z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 3:39pm
Hi, thank you for the warm welcome!

I'm looking at an Era Gold or Gram Amp 2 SE. There are dealers in town that I can arrange a home audition with. I've never tested anything at home. It's probably the best way to pick!

For a cartridge, I'm looking at an MP-150. The music in your video sounded amazing with the MP-300!

I see many phono stages with adjustable gain. Do any GS phono stages have adjustable gain?

Thanks!

Edited by howard z - 24 Mar 2018 at 10:10pm
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 8:40am
Hi Howard,
GS phono stages don't have adjustable gain but there'll be no problems at all with the output
from a MP-150 into any of the MM phono stages in the GSP range.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by howard z howard z wrote:

I see many phono stages with adjustable gain. Do any GS phono stages have adjustable gain?

The Accession, MM & MC versions, comes to the rescue with adjustable output level.

As stated elsewhere, adjustable gain is different. It adjusts the active amplifying stage gain.
In so doing, it skews the frequency response and the slew rate. The distortion is much worse at certain gain settings, also.

The adjustable output level control is designed in the output buffer stage, after the frequency correction stages, so it does not interfere with those stages. It is purely linear in frequency response and keeps the already low distortion at its minimum.

To clarify, "gain" is the amplification factor in an active stage. "Output level" is an attenuator in the circuit after the main amplifying stages and is usually followed by a linear unity gain buffer (for the output to drive an audio cable).
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 7:22am
I have a pair of 1210s. Brilliant kit. So rhythmic & punchy. 

Had to spend a lot to beat them. Pound for pound, unbeatable in my opinion. 

Inspire HiFi make their flagship audiophile deck (the Monarch I think?) based on a Technics SL1200/1210. Very well reviewed. They offer all sorts of upgrades for these decks too like fitting HiFi tone arms & gorgeous hardwood plinths. 

In hindsight I’d have bought their Technics based deck instead of my LP12.

One day...
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 8:02pm
As the nights draw in I am tempted to rotate my turntables and try my SME IV on my SL1210 mk2. Has anyone seen an affordable SME mounting plate, possibly based on Origin Live's Rega plate which I already own?

Edited by Fatmangolf - 20 Sep 2018 at 8:03pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:11pm
I believe Jeff has a specific SL1300 plate for his audiomods and wonder if that could have an sme adapter/cut out that plat to accommodate the sme?  Or could you have one fabricated?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 37>
  Share Topic