New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 37>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 8:21pm
I have fitted my G1042 onto the Zephyr arm and SL1210/II. Great sound through my Accession M, different to my other turntable. I used the Clearaudio protractor to align it, 222mm mounting distance and using tried and tested Baerwald (Lofgren A) for IEC inner/outer groove.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 9:10pm
I also had the chance to test the Technics motor dynamics/servo loop mod after seeing the RPM Speed & Wow app on VE last weekend. Switched off the range of low and high speed variation is slightly higher than with the mod active, and the 2 sigma wow was lower with it on. Nice after 5 years to have a test to compare to what I thought I heard.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 10:05pm
My thanks to the recent posts about the 1200G(R) that made me use my neglected SL1210/II and to Graham and Tony (TG) who encouraged me with the Technics in 2011 and since. These are very good turntables and they suit a tweaker like me!

Jon

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 7:27am
Next on my tweak list are the 1210s 👍🏼
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:25pm
Well worth the effort. The easiest improvement is to take the main transformer out of the turntable chassis, a tip I got from Graham. Initially I moved the Technics transformer out into a plastic box and ran some cheap speaker cable with the low voltage ac into the existing circuit. Then I took out the SL1210's basic PSU and fed in an external 20V dc supply into a later point on the PCB, better!

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 9:58pm
Fitting my 1042 onto a standard slotted headshell (on my OL Zephyr) contrasted with the easy SME approach of fixed length and offset angle. That sets Lo and leads to a straight forward alignment to Lofgren A for IEC, where a slotted headshell tempts me to experiment.

All that technical stuff aside it is nice being back on the Technics with start, quart locked speed, and almost instant stop just a button away. No I haven't got round to getting an SME armboard for the Technics, frankly I am enjoying it too much with the Zephyr and 1042!

A few years back I stripped  my SL1210 back, primed it, and painted it titanium silver. Is it a SL1200 now?

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:53pm
A little update is that I noticed that RPM wow & flutter app showed my SL1210/II to be very slightly slow although it seemed fine on my handheld strobe and disk. So I bought a cheap frequency counter and checked the internal frequency at TP27. It was just under 262kHz and I reset it to the specified 262k08. RPM now correct!

Safety tip - don't open up a standard SL12xx with the mains power connected.Mine has an external 20 volt dc supply.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 37>
  Share Topic