FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Synthesizer music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 7:36am
Here is where the amplifier's definition of distortion departs from the musical instrument's!

No musical instrument, other than a synth set up appropriately, generates a pure 1khz sine wave. They all have a natural harmonic series (of, usually, even harmonics!) and the composition of that harmonic series determines the nature of the tone (the timbre) of the instrument. Synths, including virtually all forms of the organ, deliberately bring the manipulation of the composition of that harmonic series within the control of the performer, and so allow them to synthesize different sounds. It's fully intended, so not distortion :-)

If, OTOH, the amp does this all by itself in response to a 1khz sine wave, then that definitely is distortion. And this is why some groups of listeners like certain types of amplifier, because the "right" kind of distortion adds harmonic interest to the sound. It's the "right" kind of distortion because it follows the natural harmonic series that we're all familiar with just from hearing natural sounds.

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:17am
Keyboards & synth music can sound a little dated after a few years - e.g early Vangelis, Kraftwerk
70's Floyd.
Some modern synth music sounds very interesting and immersive e.g composers such as Steve Roach,
Erik Wollo etc.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:18pm
My father had lots of synth music including JMJ, Tangerine Dream, and Rick Wakeman. In the new wave era I enjoyed the early Human League albums, Ultravox, Gary Numan, and John Foxx among others. The Peter Gabriel albums have a lot of syntheised and sampled sounds. Fortunately I still have all the LP's from these artists and things like Vangelis too. I'd also add Who's Next as a good example. My sense then and now is that a lot of hard work went into creating those sounds with relatively simple analogue equipment. Whilst loving that cutting edge I'd agree with RichW abou the sophistication of modern synth music.

Not a synth but the enrichment of amplifier distortion made me think of Jon Lord's Hammond through a Marshall amp, yielding 'the beast' you'll hear on classic Deep Purple albums.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:52pm
I seem to have started some thing here about synth music and a lot of great artists have been mentioned, I will add Howard Jones into the mix not to everyone taste I know but to me I like what he has done. I think to the average person they would be surprised how much music is out there that use the synthesizer, It had bad reputation because of lets say it CRAP music being made in someone's bed room (but not all). 
Jon. Me to I much prefer the early Human League stuff
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 1:21pm
Substrata - cold, dark, immersive and deeply melancholic ambient from Norway's Biosphere.
Wonderful album.

TD01 – Biosphere &amp;amp; Jon Wozencroft “Substrata 2.1” | Touch
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 9:59pm
Nice image Rich.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:16pm
LCD Soundsystem - Album - 45:33  A great band. 1st heard them in the record shop in Totnes
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic