FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Synthesizer music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synthesizer music
    Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:40pm
There was a time when people said synthesizer music was not proper music, Well I have just been listening to the The Human League, Album, Box set, A Very British Synthesizer Group Clap.Tell me it's not proper music?. I also like Jan Hammer, Jean Michel Jarre.
Does anyone else like this type of music?
Smile
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:43pm
Video game music makes up a significant proportion of my listening material, so yes. Fantastic music comes in many different forms.

An example:

Edited by Ash - 11 Jul 2021 at 7:46pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:10pm
I would not say video game music is my thing as I don't play video games but some sound tracks I have heard have been very good and a report on video game music I read some time ago said that the gaming industry enployee some top musicians for their sound tracks.
But you are right music comes in many different forms and I may like some and someone else will not.
I am not a music snob I just like what I like end of.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 9:38pm
+1 for Human League, Jon. Thumbs Up  Jan Hammer and Jean Michel Jarre I really ought to explore, I've heard them both at different times but can't really claim familiarity with either.

Like you, I like what I like, no one genre: some classical, rockabilly, (rhythm and) blues, J-pop, metal, what in my youth was called underground (ie High Tide), some jazz, and much else both ancient and modern, with very little to connect it all other than to say I'm fond of female vocals, much less male ones.

One consequence of this disparate lot is that my wife has never bought me music. She's never been able to work out why I like A but not B. I think she gave up trying to guess what my taste is long ago, and is quietly convinced I have no taste whatever!

I seem to have rambled away from synthesizer music, don't I...
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 10:33pm
Hi Graham
Me too, People say to me all the time I didn't think you like that sort of music. I am not a fan of classical music and I don't have any but would not say I don't like it and as for female vocals most of what I like as female in it, Blondie for one. I do buy a lot of music with females in the band or on vocals or both. Jan Hammer, Jean Michel Jarre not a big fan with only 2 or 3 of their albums but what I do have I like vary much. I just started this post for a bit of fun, but it does get to me when people say that's not proper music (synthesizer music)
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:58am
I too enjoy some synthesizer music, especially the one man band stuff like Jean-Michel Jarre and Rick Wakeman, but it depends on how well, or how badly it's abused. Put Wakeman with Jon Anderson and it must have been a nightmare in the mastering suite. Put Moraz with Jon Anderson and you might as well listen to 100% distortion. Listen to i by Moraz and break out the Sensodyne! Synths are harmonic distortion generators "tuned" to sound musical, but so are electric organs. Jean-Michel's stuff is musical, whereas Keith Emerson played rough, and must have been on LSD if he thought some of his work sounded musical. Good and bad in everything, and poor old Eddy Offord...
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 7:07am
IMO, there's nothing intrinsically unmusical or "inferior" about the synth. For example, Bach's keyboard music works very well on the synth. There's a pretty strong argument that the pipe organ, for which he wrote a lot of his music, is the earliest form of synth.

However, the synth's reputation may be slightly tarnished by the fact that, sonically, it is so flexible, that how and when it is typically used, musical form and structure can sometimes take a back seat to "pure effects and theatrics".

I am partial to a little J-M-J myself, occasionally. Purely in terms of what's written on the staves, the actual "music-material" is very slender. But that's not the point - one has to take in the whole context of the sound-world he's creating and admit that's as much a part of the "music" as the notes on the page.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic