FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Super Voyager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Voyager
    Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 6:24pm
Suggested in response to my latest newsletter, a Super Voyager...

Suggested features are:

• Rechargeable
  • High/low gain switch
  • Better/metal case

I'd like to ask what members think about the existing contour switch - would it be necessary?

Also, what about USB in?

There are limitations as to how much can be shoehorned into a small case and still sound good.

I also want to make it a battery only device because the existing three power options don't lend themselves to point source optimisation. Rechargeable would make that more viable I guess?

My other thoughts were to offer a Super Voyager options menu to pick from:

1. Basic single use battery operation
  2. Rechargeable - comes with charger and NiMH rechargeable battery (upgradeable from above)
  3. Line input only
  4. USB and line inputs

Your thoughts?

Graham

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 6:35pm
Sounds interesting. I'm all ears, even though I've just bought a Voyager. Smile
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 7:19pm
I'm a very minimalistic person so I would suggest bare minimum features for smallest physical size but enough content to make digital audio sound spectacular.

1 Line-in, 1 headphone out, 1 USB-in for recharging internal (fixed) rechargable battery from both computer USB port and from mains-USB port wall adapter. This obviously gives the option to power the amp from USB as well. Aluminium case sounds good. Not sure about the need for the contour switch. Maybe include a headphone out adapter plug (Bitzie style adapter) that converts the one 3.5mm jack socket into two so that two headphones can be driven (you and a friend can listen simultaneously). Keep a volume pot that still permits use of full rotation.

Reckon you could go smaller than a Bitzie? You are very intelligent when it comes to circuit board design Graham...

Hang on, let me think some more about this...

Basically, minimal/no compromises to sound quality and as small as possible. Embarrassed As long as it sounds amazing with both IEMs like ER-4S and with high resolution full-size such as HD250 and HD800, it'll be ideal. Just needs your core circuit configurations and nothing else. Double sided PCB or is this a compromise, in your experience?

Only need a USB socket for power options. No need for any other power connections.

Edited by Nuance_Ember - 17 Nov 2013 at 8:18pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 7:30pm

I see indicative evidence that many manufacturers general view of the consumer in this market is that they 'want it all'... and then compromise on quality :-( Graham, I would be surprised if we saw you take that view!

I'm sure a do it all super rechargeable Voyager/Bitzie hybrid thingy would be great if the price were right but for my situation unlikely to open my wallet, even at a price as low as say £250.

At home, my 1G voyager is great for washing up (or in the bath!) with some lightweight cans or IEMs. Out and about... well pretty much the same.

I use a, ahem, 5G iPod classic with a basic LOD and DIY cable. With HD25 or SRH 940, this produces very satisfying results. The battery life is, frankly, already amazing and I can think of only 2 directions to increase appeal.

1. Improve headphone-driving performance with higher impedance and Grados.
2. Include a quality DAC that would make the most of the source.

For most practical purposes, #2 is of more value as I'm happy-ish with my out and about can options (though improved performance with HD250 and DT 250-250 would be 'nice').

The debate about the commercial viability of Apple connectivity that would work 'out and about' has already been discussed at some length.

For reference, I have not yet acquired a Bitzie though if I did not already have multiple DACs and headamps, I would
have been a prime prospect!

If I were to ever be away from home for a prolonged period, I would probably buy one to go with my MacBook, Audirvana (excellent!) and some combination of HD800/650/250.

I hope this is a useful example of customer attitude and behaviour.

Best

James
Voyager - HD25
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 8:22pm
It's good to hear your thoughts and I'll never be put off by any reasonable suggestion - better to make things how people want them to be.

Please to others - keep your thoughts coming.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 8:43pm
My feeling is it kind of blurs the lines between voyager and bitzie. Maybe that's a good thing?

Suppose you could see it as a bitzie powered from battery rather than USB, and an additional line in? The battery power making higher SQ possible? 

Wouldn't be expecting months of runtime (a la voyager) though with the power demands of the digital side. 

The unit would really only make sense as portable because you'd want to somehow get mains power to it if it were fixed. Comparatively, the bitzie does make sense as a stationary unit because it's laptop powered. It also makes sense portably too, running off a tablet. Comparatively, the current voyager also makes sense stationary too with its USB or wall wart power.

I would likely be a buyer if it had optical in - as my portable DAP has optical out - but there is probably only a very limited market for a portable optical in, not enough to return the additional development/production costs. 
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Suggested in response to my latest newsletter, a Super Voyager...

Suggested features are:

• Rechargeable
  • High/low gain switch
  • Better/metal case

I'd like to ask what members think about the existing contour switch - would it be necessary?

Also, what about USB in?

There are limitations as to how much can be shoehorned into a small case and still sound good.

I also want to make it a battery only device because the existing three power options don't lend themselves to point source optimisation. Rechargeable would make that more viable I guess?

My other thoughts were to offer a Super Voyager options menu to pick from:

1. Basic single use battery operation
  2. Rechargeable - comes with charger and NiMH rechargeable battery (upgradeable from above)
  3. Line input only
  4. USB and line inputs

Your thoughts?

Graham

A Super Voyager options menu to pick from sounds good.
 Is USB input realy needed? Wouldn't that require a DAC?

I like your Suggested features:

• Rechargeable
  • High/low gain switch
  • Better/metal case
I agree,
what members think about the existing contour switch - would it be necessary?

Bruce
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic