FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Super Voyager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 9:08pm
I think the unit should be as simple as possible. No convoluted features to make them compatible with every single headphone, especially those that do not perform well with Graham's standard amplifier configurations.

Graham, pretend you have an mp3 player containing all WAV files and that the output of this player is very pure (low incidence of sound artifacts) but does not have anywhere near the amount of voltage swing needed to drive your reference HD250II to full (almost full) potential.

You'd design an amplifier with a line-in to receive the signal to be amplified, a line-out to your HD250II, a headphone-out adapter plug in case you and say John C both want to plug in your HD250IIs to the amplifier. Power supply is a fixed rechargable battery, recharged via USB only, by either computer or wall adapter. Amplifier uses superior analogue output stage and uses ultra-linear technique. No contour switch or tone controls; if the attached transducer is frequency skewed crap, it's crap, full stop and the user should select a higher fidelity transducer to pair with it. Geek As long as it sounds amazing with your major reference headphones, that's all that matters (in my narrow-minded opinion LOL). Metal case for heatsinking?

Not sure if you should get into DACs with this one. There are many devices where you can't bypass the default analogue domain to obtain a digital output/input anyway.

Basically Graham, what is the minimum you need to manipulate any analogue output to make a HD250 perform at its best?

Edited by Nuance_Ember - 18 Nov 2013 at 9:45am
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 11:13pm
PS

I haven't used the contour switch in 5 years.
Plastic case is fine for me… durable, lightweight, lower (?) cost.

Best

James
Voyager - HD25
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 9:46am
The Voyager is not something I actually have a need for, but just a thought about the case. We all know that external looks are incidental to a unit's performance, and maybe a Voyager will never be a high-volume seller (in a Richer Sounds-type context), but a sleek metal case to complement the latest smartphone styling would, IMO, do no harm to sales providing it didn't up the price too much.

If we're talking about another model to go alongside the existing one, with more features/better performance, a visual distinction may aid the perceived "value". 

Or I could be talking cobblers! LOL
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 10:53am
I like the current plastic case! However, I would make it rechargeable with a line input and smaller if possible.
Miguel
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 1:21pm
USB/LINE in to give me the option of my walkman and an OTG capable phone or media player.

Battery Power would be useful to keep my phone breathing, I suppose rechargable would be nice andif I am using my Sony Walkman MP3 player.

I guess it would blur the lines between the Voyager and the Bitzie but for me the standalone power and line in mean that the voyager type is more useful to me.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 4:10pm
Regarding rechargeable batteries, the regulations I recently saw, state they must be user removable/replaceable.

That places certain limitations on design. To be replaceable by a user implies that no (de)soldering or mechanical work would have to be done.

Therefore an accessible battery compartment must be provided.

As we are not mass producers it is not possible to make an intricate battery door and contact arrangement because we don't have the advantage of "the economies of scale", so we are either confined to a case that has a battery compartment or to a case of suitable size to be able to take a component battery compartment.

High impedance headphones require a relatively large voltage swing to deliver reasonably high volume. It would be nice to have the same voltage supply as say a Novo to cater for such a voltage swing, however, that would require the equivalent of two 9 volt batteries.

The alternative is to have just one 9 volt battery and use what is called rail-to-rail techniques to utilize virtually all the 9 volt supply into the headphones. In actual fact, the maximum r.m.s. voltage a 9 volt battery can deliver is around 3 volts.

A stretched 'Bitzie' case say, 120mm long, may well be sufficient, but that is the opposite of a smaller case.

Looking back at the volume available from a battery supply - the products that use two AA or AAA batteries only have a 3 volt supply. They may take up less space but can only deliver a r.m.s. voltage of around 1 volt using rail-rail techniques, and that will be insufficient for headphones much above 64 Ohms.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Task1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Task1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 10:15pm
"Regarding rechargeable batteries, the regulations I recently saw, state they must be user removable/replaceable."

Apple iPhone, ipod, ipad? Macbook air? No removable batteries in these. Filo headphone amps also made with unremovable rechargeable batteries. Are these new 'Safe Britain' regulations ( it wouldn't surprise me!)

Agree with most though- simple is better, no need for a DAC. For me line in, headphone out would be fine. would also need to be shielded from phone interference when using with mobile rather than music player.

Keep up the good work.
Does it really matter?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic