FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Suggestions for software to downsample

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
marshmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for software to downsample
    Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:20pm
I bought a Naim LP which included the code (free) to download the 88.2kHz 24 bit master file of the album. (Incidentally this approach is £4 cheaper than just buying the master alone.)

As I don't yet have an external DAC, I cannot compare the outputs from vinyl & the HD master.

I thought I could easily convert the master to 44.1khz and 16 bit, then save on a CD and compare the CD output with the vinyl.
However I cannot find a program to do the conversion.

I have a trial of dBpoweramp, foobar2000 and cooledit2000 but cannot see how to do the conversion with them.

I would appreciate any help you can give. Google, so far, has not helped.

Marsh

JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:36pm
Hello Marsh

Have you looked at Audacity? This is totally free and you have the option to open various types of file and then export to other formats.

James
Aren't ears brilliant
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:37pm
You could try Audacity, which is free. I believe the sample rate can be changed from the control in the lower left corner.

Edit : great minds think alike!

Edited by morris_minor - 24 Apr 2013 at 9:38pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:26pm
My dBPoweramp package included the file convertor. It was about a tenner. Audacity is free.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
marshmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:59pm
Thanks guys. I had forgotten about Audacity - but I know some folks find it difficult to use.
I expected dBPoweramp to do it but the Music Converter program doesn't appear to give options for bit depth of sampling rate. Maybe it reads these parameters automatically and converts to suit. I will look at it again tomorrow.

I have downloaded Audacity.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:59pm
With foobar you can just right click on the selected file(s) and choose Convert. Then scroll to where it says "...", choose what format you'd like to convert into and then make a choice of processing. Choose resampling from the list (I'd suggest you download the SoX resampler beforehand, I think it's a much better resampler than the inbuilt one, also it has many more options to customize things).
Then just choose what directory to put the converted files in and if you want to, customize file names etc. And when you're done with all settings just start the conversion process and sit back.

As for the parameters of the Sox resampler I haven't tried downsampling as yet but I do use it to upsample everything I play to 192000hz and I've found that at least to my ears the best results are had with a passband setting of about 98.8%, not allowing aliasing and having a linear phase response (50%). Also make sure to keep a sufficent software buffer to allow these processes to be made correctly. My processor isn't the most recent make so I set the foobar software buffer to about 1600 ms.

Best of luck with either method!
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 3:42am

The Voxengo r8brain resampler is freeware and simpler to use than SoX.

Reputedly one of the best resamplers, it is the one I use for downsampling my own LP recordings after any click/noise removal and trimming.

I also own dBpoweramp Music Converter which will do the job.  

With many such things, its use is less than intuitive - first select your file/files in explorer and right click, then select "convert to" from the context menu, you then need to select to convert to .wav, the various options will then be available in the conversion dialogue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic