New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Speaker recommendations for Proprius based system?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker recommendations for Proprius based system?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker recommendations for Proprius based system?
    Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 6:22pm

I am considering buying a new set of quality speakers to replace the 20-year-old pair that I use with my Majestic and Proprius hi-fi system in the lounge. I am looking for a pair of speakers that will be compatible with my wonderful Proprius amplifier system. I know that Graham favours the Sterling LS3/5A which I heard at the Aylesbury Roadshow. But, even though they probably would be a good choice, I have nothing to compare them with. I had originally thought of something like a decent floor standing unit in the region of about £3000 (I have the agreement of she who must be obeyed!) that can bring out the same kind of clarity and detail that I get from my Grado PS 1000 headphones.

Although I am reluctant to trust the write-ups in the hi-fi press certain makes do seem to crop up again and again as being of good quality. Names like: B&W, ATC, Spendor, Monitor Audio, Harbeth, Tannoy being prominent amongst them. As I know a number of people on this site have Proprius amplifiers I would be very grateful for any comments or recommendations of compatible speakers that I could look at. I find it difficult to get into many dealers listening rooms (with my wheelchair) and would hate to spend a lot of money only to find that the ones I'd choose are not a step up from my 20-year-old Mission 753s. These are by no means bad speakers however they have softened off a little after many enjoyable years of use.

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 7:25pm
Do your current speakers need re-capping to bring back their performance or is it simply time for a change?

In my opinion, focus as much attention to optimising the listening room as you give attention to speaker selection. A room with carpets and some wall clutter will help. If you're willing to spend that kind of money, it may be worth looking at electrostatic panels for the utmost sonic purity. I was looking at some Martin Logan ESLs a few weeks ago so that might be of interest. I assume that Graham's Proprius can be used with this kind of device?
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 9:04pm
If I was spending £3k at a dealer on speakers, I would want a home demo to make sure that they worked in my room. Do you have a friendly dealer in the area that would do a home demo for you due to the access issues to demo rooms that you have?

The most important factor with speakers is how they sound in your room, and only when you get them home will you really know how they sound.

Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 9:40pm
Sorry to be a tiny bit sceptical, but I always find the "speakers to match my amp" conundrum a bit cart-before-horse. In my opinion, speakers match the room, not the amplifier. Then, the amplifier's job is to deliver the drive current cleanly, without being perturbed by the speaker's variable impedance wrt frequency. Basically - act as voltage source. Perhaps I've been reading too much Alan Shaw....

That said, if what people say about the Proprius is true (I really must borrow a pair and hear for myself!), and it lives up the typical GSP house excellence, it should do a fantastic job of driving and getting the best out of whatever suits the room.

As I've mentioned before, to my ears Missions of the 753 era are excellent budget speakers and I wouldn't necessarily assume that today's generation - particularly at the same price range - are much better without hearing them. On the other hand, there might be a lot of scope for improvement in terms of models that suit the room and the placement.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 10:14pm
If the Proprius monoblocks have signature, I'm yet to hear it. An AKG K1000 from Proprius is simply incredible; it's one of those "holy crap!" moments as the sheer purity is pretty jawdropping.

To get that kind of performance from speakers is going to take careful consideration of so many factors. There are many aspects of room interaction that affect perceived performance. Are conventional cone-in-cabinet speakers even capable of a fully non-boxy performance? I mean, I know they can sound really good but for a complete absence of intermodulation distortions (lag) and boxiness, I think that a different technology is the only way forward.

Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

If I was spending £3k at a dealer on speakers, I would want a home demo to make sure that they worked in my room. Do you have a friendly dealer in the area that would do a home demo for you due to the access issues to demo rooms that you have?

The most important factor with speakers is how they sound in your room, and only when you get them home will you really know how they sound.

I couldn't agree more and the only time I purchased speakers based on reviews / recommendations (1980s, some Wharfedales), they ended up in the loft along with all my other mistakes. Since then I always found a dealer prepared to home loan for at least 2 weeks and was more or less satisfied (Castles, Royds, Shahinians, all excellent at the time, the latter two still in occasional use)

Open Baffles with subs & digital correction seem to have finally eradicated all room effects with any type of music and at any volume but that's another story
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I think you're probably right! I would expect any decent dealer to give me a home demonstration before I buy. As far as the room is concerned my lounge has much better acoustics than the previous house that I lived in. My Missions sound much better here than they used to in my old house. Even so the quality of the speaker will make a difference within any room. The speakers I had before my Missions was a pair of series 2 Keff 104s. This was a large speaker but the smaller Missions proved to be slightly better and a lot more convenient because of the smaller size.

Electrostatic speakers have been around for many many years. Possibly well over 30! They are, I believe, an acquired taste. It is also my belief that a good pair of speakers can give you a more realistic soundstage because, like live music, they are vibrating the air around you and not just in your head. This isn't to say that very good quality headphones can't be more revealing and impressive than many speakers. What I'm after is masses of detail, A good and controlled bass, and yet musicality too!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic