FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:37pm
All great comments!  I'll try summing up:

1.  Proprietory cables will probably produce an improvement over the unbranded 'parallel' cables
2.  The open-platform stands, terminating in castors, are unlikely to be any worse than expensive stands with spikes
3.  Whatever the hoped-for improvement, it has to be tested in situ.

All agreed?! Thumbs Up 
(That sets me up for a mildly obsessive few months! Wacko )

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:18pm
Nearly, as mick says suck it and see (point 2) as this may depend on your insitu installation
Eric View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:02pm
A pair of Spatia speaker cables will soon be tested by me.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 1:59am
The need for low capacitance speaker cables came about through the success of a major brand in amplifiers, and the many which followed in their footsteps. These amp manufacturers had decided that output inductors were plain wrong. That by removing them it would "improve" the sound.

It then occurred to them that their amplifiers were blowing because the speaker cable capacitance was "too high". Because these amplifiers had sold in the many thousands there was a ready market for low capacitance speaker cable. All what was needed was some clever marketing, and the press obliged.

Output inductors as well as zobel networks (a capacitor and a resistor in series across the output prior to the output inductor) had served the purpose of isolating amplifiers from output capacitance historically. They were used to preserve phase (and gain) margins to prevent oscillation or a lesser form of instability known as "ringing". These operated far above the audible spectrum, but still it was thought (and with some it still is) that the speakers should be "given" much higher frequencies because we will hear the difference.

Yes, we do hear the difference between a stable amplifier and one that rings. I doubt that much power will be developed in any dynamic tweeter because like all wound components they have inductance such that their impedance increases considerably with frequency. So we are not hearing more - we are hearing the difference between stability and instability - and instability is marketable.

One thing I have noted is that an unstable circuit wears out electrolytic capacitors - shortens their life - and I have also noticed that such amplifiers require "re-capping".

One more thing regarding an earlier comment: wide spacing of speaker cable conductors, whilst reducing capacitance considerably, increases inductance. Therefore the removal of the output inductor from the amplifier is simply being replaced by cable inductance. It is "kicked down the road".

The thing about proper education is it destroys myths/false beliefs. That's if you can find a proper education.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Eric View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:29pm
Any one who has experience of Spatia speaker cables together with Magnepan 3.7i speakers?
Eric View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:30pm
Yesterday I finaly recevied a pair of Spatial speaker cables for testing. They are now connected to my Boenicke W8 speakers. So far I really like what I hear. 
There are a lot of details and body in the sound. Everything is there, from the highest to the lowest tones. 

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 4:29pm
Didn't want to make a new thread so I jumped on this one.

After much thought on what my next HiFi upgrade would be, I decided that CD & Vinyl together as a upgrade would be the best way forward, so today I have placed an order for a pair of Spatia speaker cable and speaker terminal links. I came into some money so thought why not.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic