FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker Advice for Bitzie System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Thanks BiB! Looking at it, that my actually be what mine is. What is the operating difference between this and a coax driver?

Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

What are they like non-nearfield and at "energetic" volume levels Ash? If they're that good nearfield, the soundstage must be epic!
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 6:22pm
[QUOTE=miT]

Thanks BiB! Looking at it, that my actually be what mine is. What is the operating difference between this and a coax driver?

[QUOTE=Ash]
Usually a whizzer cone style driver has just one voice coil which drives both the whizzer and main diaphragm. Co-axial usually have separate voice coils or driver systems for each cone or diaphragm element. The critical thing for co-axial is that each transducer is time aligned to avoid the phase difference inherent in multi driver set ups. The time alignment is usually corrected by the crossover, sometimes in association with physical displacement of the drivers, ie stepped baffles or tilted front speaker faces.

Edited by BackinBlack - 21 Sep 2015 at 2:07pm
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:39pm
At low/moderate volume in my small listening room, they sounded great. Bass perhaps needed slightly more authority (by coupling with a higher mass baffle) but the sound was very transparent. I did briefly turn them up but reflections and bass soon overwhelm the small listening space which is why I like to listen in the nearfield; to make room interaction more or less inaudible. That's just my style of listening though, which isn't for everyone.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. No then, I'm pretty sure mine are proper coax drivers.

Nothing wrong with that Ash, especially if it minimises the dreaded room interaction issues. Sometimes I need to listen quietly too. It's the sign of a great speaker if it still excels at such low volumes.

I've not heard the MAs yet but to date, the best I have heard was the Steinway Lyngdorf Model D which are open baffle too but at £200k, a different league to most of us... When we finished the demo, the distributor turned them almost off so we could talk but even at the lowest volume possible, the transparency, separation and stoundstage was amazing!
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 12:05am
You don't need to spend anywhere near £200,000 to get a truly remarkable reproduction. I reckon it's probably possible for well under £10,000 if you use all Graham Slee electronics and give meticulous attention to source and speaker setup, perhaps even half that amount.

By the way, here is what my old kit LS3/5A looked like.

Look at how different woofer and tweeter are in diaphragm profile/shape. Try to visualize how different the wave dispersion/directionality from each driver would be. The woofer is also quite receded into the cabinet, which I think would hinder dispersion further.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 12:11am

I completely agree! Listening to them was just a bonus of listening to other systems we went to the deal for.

GSP kit and decent speakers would be able to achieve the same (if not better/truer), but what else would the "big boys" buy for themselves that we all can't afford?

Very unique looking things, but built for a purpose I guess... What did they sound like?

Edited by miT - 21 Sep 2015 at 12:13am
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 12:17am
The LS3/5A were good but just not for me. High enough fidelity for an engineer to use them for professional applications but for enjoying music, I'd rather put on a HD540II, K1000 or use another pair of speakers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic