FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Sound Level at HiFi Shows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound Level at HiFi Shows
    Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:34pm
Why is it that exhibitors at hifi shows think that having sound levels at ear bleeding levels is the way to demonstrate their wares.

I was at Cranage recently and there was only a couple of exhibitors playing music at levels that whilst loud didn't make your ears ring (and I taken the hearing aids out).

One demo by a well known purveyor of valve amps was in a room only a couple of metres wide and around 4 metres long the volume coming from this £18,000 system had the bass units on the speakers not just pistoning like a racing engine at full chat but they appeared to ripple, never seen that effect before so not sure how best to describe it (distortion?). 

To be honest most of them sounded c**p and it was disappointing, (I just spent my money on records and went home).

I did try to ask one chap why the music was so loud , but he couldn't hear me over the noise and I gave up trying so he wondered off !!!

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 9:39pm
Well at least they are reasonably consistent with the shows I attended in the late 70s and 80s!
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:01pm
It just seems so self defeating putting off potential customers instead of showcasing the product to increase awareness and possible sales, and it puts people off going to shows.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Bonzo Bonzo wrote:

they appeared to ripple, never seen that effect before so not sure how best to describe it (distortion?).  

Rippling of speaker diaphragms would be caused by standing waves on the surface. I have seen radial bead diaphragms (ridging) used in headphones to deter standing waves from forming and causing distortion and driver breakup.

Edited by Ash - 30 Jul 2017 at 10:31pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 9:15am
The problem I had at Cranage was the competition for noise. We took a system (2014 if my memory is correct) which sounded really nice at 80-90dB but nobody could hear it properly because of the guy with his macho valve amps and OTT speakers next door. We couldn't turn ours up to compete. The acoustics were crap too.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 11:27am
I think we had a little thread going some time ago here discussing the dB levels we listen at. From memory, most of us fell into the 75-90dB bracket. I'll admit to 104dB from my PMC Twenty5.22 driven by the Proprii, but that was just party time. I don't think I've ever sat down to listen at that level!

Perhaps if all the demonstrators studck to 85dB max, everyone could be heard? But of course, systems in totally the wrong rooms is a huge problem, too.
Bugger.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 8:56pm
Graham, I experienced the noise competition.

I sat and had a coffee in one of the little lounge areas on one of the corridors while I pondered a big decision - hog roast or dining room -  and the noise you heard was not going to convince anyone that listening to music is a pleasure. 

I'll not be going back again, totally opposite to a recent guitar show I went to and that cost £8 to get in, there was lots to see, lots to buy, and people encouraging you to try, everything from the general atmosphere to the attitude of the exhibitors and the friendliness of the other customers, I had a great time, planning on going back there next year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic