FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Some mysteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some mysteries
    Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 3:57pm
Well, mysteries to me at least.

It has long been known, and can easily be verified by anyone interested enough to measure their own hearing, that we have different sensitivities and frequency responses in our ears. No man has identical hearing on both ears.

It has also been long known that no matter how hard we try, we can NEVER produce two identically sensitive channels, despite the fact that we can get awfully close. This holds true for both our source component(s) and our headphone amps.

It can be shown rather easily that the same bugbear applies to our source material, which no matter how well was done, also used some electronic circuits or other - again, introducing mismatch.

Measure if you will your favorite headphones, which are basically miniature loudspeakers or transducers, and do not be amazed when you discover one plays louder than the other for the exact same input voltage.

Channel balance, both in terms of response and general behavior, and in terms of sheer loudness, is THE key factor in reproducing what we call ambience, the small sonic clues which allow our brain to synthesize, based on our hearing, the location of the artists, the room/chamber they play in, the overall spatial information.

If all this is so, then why are headphone outlets on stock products, and worse, standalone headphone amps, equipped with only a volume control, another device which is sold with a nominal 3 dB channel mismatch even in such exalted form as ALPS Blue, or a 2 dB mismatch for the ALPS Black Beauty?

Why is there no balance control, or separate channel gain controls, whichever, which would allow us to equalize both channels' loudness in situ, i.e. on our own mismatched ears?

Why is there no "mono" switch, which would ideally match input signal voltages to both transducers in our headphones (by mixing L and R channels together) and provide us with a near perfect input signal to reference ourselves by?

Two arguments I refute before they are even spoken out loud:

1. "More components means more junk in the signal path". While essentially true, this need not be nearly as bad as it might appear if one used, for example, a relay to produce mono mode, because in normal use, that relay would be in its off position and sonically, it would not exist. That it might just slightly degrade sound is immaterial in the short process of adjustment, after which it disappears from the entire picture, is a nonsense "argument" and

2. What is worse, one more pot in the signal path (assuming individual channel gain controls), or an overall system mismatch which will cause far more sonic damage (I speak from personal expeience)?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Edited by dvv - 25 Apr 2008 at 4:05pm
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 4:38pm
You have no argument from me on this point.
Although my main amplifier is an integrated in that it has a preamp section and volume control, it has only one pair of inputs, I therefore added an active preamplifier with two sets of outputs and four sets of inputs; what I was not specifically looking for, but have subsequently found very useful is a balance control.
My speaker placement, being constrained by practical domestic considerations, has resulted in the right speaker receiving more room reinforcement than the left speaker which is in a more open location - the result being that with many recordings the soundstage is skewed to the right, a minor trim of the right channel with the balance control adjusts it all back to centre from the listening position, since my head amps also feed from the preamp they too can be adjusted in this way - very useful I find and sod the theory.

dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 10:27pm
@tg
The theory does NOT assume there is no balance control. That part of the theory was written by some ju-ju or voodoo shaman who could not design a decent preamp section, or was desperate for a "new" purist approach to sound reproduction.

Purists all too often easily become puritans. Puritans all too easily start witch hunts.

You would also need a stereo/mono switch for true balance adjustment. You can't have it with any certainty unless you feed both channels with exactly the same "calibration" signal, and the mono switch is just what the doctor ordered. It mixes both channels together, thus totally eliminating any channel signal difference.

I am sorely tempted to design just such an add-on board. Interested?

Edited by dvv - 26 Apr 2008 at 10:28pm
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 1:03am
@dvv
While I would certainly be most interested at the theoretical level, at a practical level, having no immediate application, it would very likely languish in the collection of useful things I might want to do at some time.
Again, at a practical level, I would imagine it to be more difficult to implement for a head amp due to the generally more limited internal volume for add-in placement and more limited panel space for switch and pot mounting.
WRT calibration and equal signal levels, it is a fairly trivial matter to produce such a recording from almost any thing with a modern PC, free software and a CD burner - or to play such recording direct from the PC or via an external DAC.
Given that PC source is fairly common usage of head amps in the headphone community, this would be more likely their preferred method.
On that note, most soundcards, certainly the better quality, semi-pro types are capable of fairly accurate channel level control - granted that may be more damaging to the signal than external good quality attenuation.
Admittedly, none of the above solutions provide quite the same "on the fly" capability and that IME of my own system, some recordings play best with neutral balance settings but many require balancing, which I usually do by ear and "on the fly".
I suppose what I am saying here is that while I see your point about the mono switch from an absolute calibration perspective, my immediate and recurring use for a balance control is to adjust the soundstage to suit the particular recording. 
So, what I am in fact balancing, is what I hear - which, since it allows for my own hearing imbalance is only distantly related to absolute signal balance.
Who knows, maybe someone out there will build one?
Guess I would like to see your implementation.
Charley Phogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charley Phogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 12:51am
Originally posted by dvv dvv wrote:

@tg

"It mixes both channels together, thus totally eliminating any channel signal difference."

Isnn't this basically what cross-feed is? maybe I'm taking it out of context, not understaning the difference,
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Charley Phogg Charley Phogg wrote:

Originally posted by dvv dvv wrote:

@tg

"It mixes both channels together, thus totally eliminating any channel signal difference."

Isnn't this basically what cross-feed is? maybe I'm taking it out of context, not understaning the difference,

I could say yes (tongue in cheek), but I would not like to upset cross-feed fans. No Chris, cross-feed mixes left and right channels with decreasing frequency so as to give the impression of a speaker representation of stereo, where the bass seems more omni-directional.

On headphones, without crossfeed, the bass can feel a bit one sided, but this also depends on the balance of the recording and the performance level of the amp.

In the case of this thread, they are discussing the merits of a mono switch which sums both left and right channels - the math being A+B/2 (or more precisely L+R/2)

However, this will not give a true mono derivation because it doesn't give constant power to both earpieces/speakers as would be the case from an already mono signal - it actually boosts the centre information by 3dB, giving rise to a loss in volume of the L-R difference signal. It makes mono-reproduced stereo recordings sound unnatural and has led to the downfall of many an AM commercial radio station, which have become mainly chat stations than music broadcasters to survive.

The only station that was successful in mono AM broadcasting IMO was BBC radio 1, possibly because of the use of a Studer true mono converter? However, such a converter has serious consequences to phase, but that didn't really matter as AM broadcasting is limited to a 4kHz bandwidth, so you couldn't hear the phase problem anyway.

When is mono not mono? When it's derived from stereo by way of the simple A+B/2 mono switch that featured so prominently on so many older pieces of hi-fi equipment (that's why we hide ours [where fitted] round the back). Personally I wouldn't bother - a mono switch on a stereo piece of equipment is only of use when playing a real mono source.

I really hope nobody takes me to task about true mono because it may take me an age to find the mathematical argument I had to formulate many years ago to prove the case.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 8:06am
Graham, then pray tell, how would you balance channels in a stereo only system, when you don't know whether the imbalance is caused by your hearing, your equipment, or their recording?

Perhaps a mono switch will not deliver absolutely true mono, but it's the single next best thing we have, and while boosting this and surpressing that, it will allow for a rather accurate center point, will it not?

When I mentioned it, I didn't have abrilliant idea one sunny morning, rather I spoke out of some experience gained over the last 30+ years of listening, being in a recording studio, working on TV and the radio. I am convinced that channel imbalance very seriously disturbs spatial information and can cause serious degradation in sound quality, in terms of instrument location, musician location, heigth, width and depth of the place where the music is played, etc.

Actually, this could be done in another way, by using a test calibration frequency, say a 1 kHz test tone, fed by an oscillator to both channels simultaneously; switch on the signal, adjust the balance, turn off the signal, let the music in.

If this were just idle dallying, why do all mixing consoles have separate gain pots for left and right channel, and then a Master Volume pot? Why has so much effort been dedicated during development of digital volume controls to minimize channel imbalance down to 0.1 dB from zero to maximum, surely a step forward from analog pots which couldn't get past the 2 dB mark, in percentage terms, down from a 25.8% error to just 1.1%? Well, they could, with a discrete resistor ladder, especially if one used 0.1% tolerance resistors, but how many products do you know which use this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic