FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 12:57pm
Ah! The magic of the ULDE Wink

Your source, however, does seem a tad hot, but that's what the volume control is for. Personally, I'd want to find a way of taming the 2.1V to something more like 0.7V. Our overworked John C is good at attenuators.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
vinylmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 2:13pm
I've never been sure of how to interpret these claimed output levels from line gear.  2.1V is what my Oppo's manual says.

Line input sensitivity on my integrated amp is stated as 196mV into 10KOhms, for full rated output; and the same voltage is quoted for the Record Output, which is what the Solo ULDE is plugged into.  At socially acceptable listening levels (thinking of the neighbours!) my amp's volume control is in the 10 - 12 o'clock range, depending on the recording, with me sitting about 8' from the speakers.  Similar volume settings apply when using my phono pre-amp, where its rated line output is "only" one tenth of the Oppo.Confused

Edited by vinylmad - 01 Jan 2021 at 2:20pm
Colin G.

Rega RP8/Ania Pro/Aria/Elicit-R, Neat Motive SX2, REL S2, Chord Epic RCA/Speaker; Innuos Zenith Mk.3, Oppo UDP-205, Chord Shawline USB; Solo ULDE (loaned/returned), HD600; EtherREGEN;...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 4:01pm
Commiserations.

Perhaps manufacturers cannot afford or be bothered with the purchase of harmonized standards? After all, complying with standards is so "square." Why spend £100 to £300 on just one of the many standards applicable?

I must admit that I search the internet for bootlegged copies of standards, but eventually realize I have to do the right thing and buy a copy.

The problem is keeping up with the many reissues, but they tend to be much like earlier versions, just with new things added.

So IEC 1938 ratings should still be valid in IEC 61938:2019, and if so, these are the ratings we manufacturers should be aiming for.

Source device: output impedance 2.2k or less, capable of driving 22k.

Input device: Input impedance 22k or greater, ability to work with a source impedance of 2.2k or less.

Source rated output voltage:
nominal: 0.5V RMS;
minimum: 0.2V RMS (-8dB of max recording amplitude);
maximum: 2V RMS ("full scale" level of a CD player. The maximum output of the maximum RMS transient)

Input device rated input voltage:
nominal: 0.5V RMS;
minimum: 0.2V RMS (as source)
overload source EMF: equal or greater than 2.8V RMS (if an analogue output of a digital player)

Before IEC 1938 was DIN, and that specified "domestic line level" as -10dBu ref 0dBu = 1mW into 600 ohms, and that relied on some mathematical understanding (you'd expect electronics engineers to be capable of that).

1mW into 600 ohms is 775mV, and -10dB is 0.316 x 775 = 245mV.

But that was in the days before audio arrogance.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 9:10pm
Hi Graham,
Buy your standards from Estonia they’re only £20-30. BSi are a right rip off.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

Hi Graham,
Buy your standards from Estonia they’re only £20-30. BSi are a right rip off.

Shhh! Wink
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:46am
Originally posted by vinylmad vinylmad wrote:

I've never been sure of how to interpret these claimed output levels from line gear.  2.1V is what my Oppo's manual says.

The Oppo has a volume regulation, from 0 to 100, for the analogue outputs! I have no problems with it at 100 with the ULDE (with very low impedance headphones...), but if you find that the output is too hot you could tame it by setting it at 50 or 70...

Edited by Lucabeer - 13 Jan 2021 at 10:47am
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:44pm
FWIW I have occasionally fed my Oppo 203 straight into my Solo ULDE and also found no problem with the levels.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic