FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo SRGII Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:26pm
perhaps MF does have a different philosophy from the majority of designers and with the application in use but don't believe an inherent flaw of on axis peak is desirable for an audiophile design or listening environment unless of course this can be tamed with proper loading and enclosure design. 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by southall-1998 southall-1998 wrote:

I've only had AKG K240 MKII (55ohms), nice tone and don't offend my ears. Could happily live with them, pretty much forever. Which K240 variant do you have, Graham?

Mine say 55 ohms and I've had them about a year so I'm guessing MKII.

Originally posted by capetownwatches capetownwatches wrote:

I'm not laughing - I own a K240S and it's a joke how good it can be for almost no money. I bought mine off a sound engineer who'd used it on a job for 2 hours from brand new, for half of retail... Big smile

BTW, you do realise that popular opinion would have your head for admitting that you prefer the HD600 over the HD800? I know because I do too.

We'd best whisper then Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:14am
The late Herr Sennheiser said that headphone listening wasn't for everybody
because headphones will never flap your flares.

The joker in the pack was the '650 - Fritz was having a lachen with that one.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:13am
I think if the imaging produced by speaker positioning can be mimicked by headphones then you may be able to trick the brain into thinking that it is enjoying a full body sound experience rather than just hearing sound at the ears.

I intend to investigate the Smyth Realiser A16 with the MySphere 3.1 and re-evaluate what is possible with headphones. Just need to sell a load of things first to accumulate the funds. Absurdly expensive, but I guess I never let that stop me in the past.

I still reckon that Majestic and Solo ULDE will have better analogue electronics though so they will have to be carried forward and integrated into the signal path.

Edited by Ash - 12 Jul 2019 at 8:18am
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 4:21am
Hi Ash,
  I always enjoy reading your posts. Just a heads up that there are numerous studies that show the body “listens” with more than the ears. Sound waves of all sorts (but particularly low frequencies) penetrate the flesh and are picked up by the nervous system, which communicates with the brain, which in turn is able to assimilate that information into any music which is being listened to. Furthermore, the brain is able to tell if vibration felt this way is a part of the music, or unrelated. 
This is related to how you can tell the sound of a door opening from your favorite album, and if it’s a sticky door jam that rattles the floor or walls the brain is alert to it, even if the music is too loud to hear it via the ears.
Incidentally, there is a suspicion that this is why unexpected non-musical sounds on albums (like a baby crying or the click of a lock) can be a bit spooky. Confused brain.
So, experiment away, I’m interest to know, especially because the brain is incredibly good and creating physiological response to imagined activity.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 9:09am
Well the MySphere 3.1, like the K1000, has no earpads or enclosures, so that's one obstacle out of the way. I remember cranking up the K1000 with speakers fully out driven from the Proprius and the imaging was very spatial but did not imitate speaker positioning. It sounded unconfined but still close to the head. MS has a much purer sound than K1000 even though the driver size is smaller but the overall result should be positive. Next is audio signal processing and head tracking, which is where the A16 comes in, to emulate different types of loudspeaker setup. The head tracking is what seems paramount to providing believable frontal localization so I may have to attend a "fitting session" for their product, where they personalise the acoustics for my ear structure and HRTF etc. It is very complicated but it looks like my best chance of imitating stereo or surround sound with headphone convenience and frequency precision.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic