FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Shure M35x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shure M35x
    Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:58am
Last night I mounted a Shure M35x on my Sony Biotracer that I'd had sitting in the drawer for ages.

Well, "House/Tecno" isn't exactly my thang, but I stuck on a secondhand copy of Jabdah by Koto. I'd bought this after hearing a YouTube video with it, but my copy had a couple of glitches that somewhat spoilt it.

But the 35x (with VTF a shade under 3gm) sailed through it with a punch, depth and energy that was actually thrilling to hear (this through a Reflex M). I'm lining up a list suitable candidates to put under it - obviously no string quartets or unaccompanied choral music - but I'm expecting the excitement to continue.

Maybe not an "allround" cartridge, but it shows that ultimate detail and refinement aren't a prerequisite for having a jolly good time . . . Wink.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
thommo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:11am
All agreed - I have a Shure SC35C that I use for older / mono / knackered records, and it sounds great. I used it for a decent while with a Jico SAS tip and it was very good indeed - only really not being up to snuff on channel separation, although you probably wouldn't notice that unless you heard something with better specs in that respect.
Stu

See you in the morning down by the jetty.
Sturgus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sturgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 11:21pm
Thinking about trying one of these with the Paradox mod. I don't listen to a lot of Rock much but I think this would be just what the Doctor would order.
Sturgus
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 12:17pm
What's the Paradox mod, Sturgus?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Sturgus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sturgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:43am
Bob, go the website paradox plus.com scroll down about 2/3 and you should see the SC-35 mounted to an aluminum body. It's a diy kit for $40 bucks. He has done a Denon 103 for me and it's quite nice.
Sturgus
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Sturgus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sturgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:52am
Bob, forget to say that my buddy has one on a Marantz table and after dialing it in he thinks it's great. He also says you can mount a Mx97 stylus in it. Good things for cheap are always nice to find.
Sturgus
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 8:33am
That looks an interesting thing to do - not that I'm tempted TBH as I don't feel the need to coax more performance out my my M35X, but I can certainly understand why some folk would! 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic