FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Semiconductor silicon is made using coal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 7:27pm
Kevin
Couldn't have said it better myself.
In the UK we have this Cop26 going on, you may have heard about it. All talk and probably no action on environmental issues, well all the countries that attended all flew in on jets probably more than likely.
I can think of one thing they could have used SKYPE there are many more other plate forms they could have used.
Today into work we had a video conference with the owner of the company who lives in Canada, So it can't be hard to set it up. I bet Microsoft would have been happy to do it for them.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 7:34pm
I see the head of Shell as said today we need the money that oil brings in to be come carbon neutral. Well that about says it all.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 8:29am
If you believe  in Mark Zuckerberg's view of the 'metaverse' such meetings would all be in virtual arenas with personal avatars able to attend, walk around ,chat etc etc. Funny thing that we used to talk about such platforms 30 years ago when using 3D modelling of engineering structures and sharing walk through models across sites.  However network capacity and cost was prohibitive and it's taken a time for technology to make it economic.
However, Zuckerberg's view goes a lot further than this simple application and is causing a lot of talk about creating a 'dystopian' society. I doubt I will be around to see it  come to fruition but it makes me think there are turbulent times ahead.
And it all depends on silicon and coal, which brings us back to the starting point of the thread.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 7:55pm
Meta is for Metastasis.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Mikeh Mikeh wrote:

If you believe  in Mark Zuckerberg's view of the 'metaverse' such meetings would all be in virtual arenas with personal avatars able to attend, walk around ,chat etc etc. Funny thing that we used to talk about such platforms 30 years ago when using 3D modelling of engineering structures and sharing walk through models across sites.  However network capacity and cost was prohibitive and it's taken a time for technology to make it economic.
However, Zuckerberg's view goes a lot further than this simple application and is causing a lot of talk about creating a 'dystopian' society. I doubt I will be around to see it  come to fruition but it makes me think there are turbulent times ahead.
And it all depends on silicon and coal, which brings us back to the starting point of the thread.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 8:41pm
No human contact GREAT.
In some ways It may be good but nothing can replace talking face to face with someone ie a family member or friends. 

Edited by lfc jon - 05 Nov 2021 at 8:52pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 8:44am
Monopoly and democracy are not compatible. The world is controlled by only a small handful of individuals already. Money and influence gives them the power to control everything; the way people think and behave. The modern world still operates on slavery. Nothing much has changed, it looks different but it's the same underneath.

The world is going to degenerate into war again, despite all the lessons that have been learned throughout history. Sad really.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic