FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Seeking knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 2:51pm
My guess is that the chassis end of the volume control has a dry joint,how are you with a test meter?
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 2:51pm
A limitation of the potentiometer travel, I guess. Another example of not being fully off is with the Bitzie. When its Alps volume pot is turned fully anticlockwise, there is still very very low level audio heard in the left channel of headphones (right channel was silent for me). It's not a blue velvet, which is the reason for the slight inbalance. Quite minor though. Although your issue isn't with one channel; it's both. All depends on how well matched it is for the input sizes it typically receives. At least with the TV input (analogue, I assume?), you can use the TV's own volume to solve the problem??

With a second volume control on the audio chain (I had Solo ULDE or Proprius for this), the resistance could then be altered such that no signal could be heard in either channel.

Edited by Ash - 21 Jan 2015 at 3:55pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 2:52pm
Ifor,
(1) Have you been able to turn the volume all the way down to "0" before and have the actual sound go silent?
   If so and it does not now, the volume control may be dirty from lack of use at the "bottom" of travel.
The volume control, if dirty, can be cleaned with control cleaner; sometimes a dirty control can be rotated back and forth (or up and down) many times to clear the debris.

(2) Do you have another sound system in the other room? a TV, radio, or other with the the same program material...

Here to help,

Edited by BAK - 21 Jan 2015 at 3:00pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:10pm
The Frugels are quite sensitive, so whilst less sensitive speakers perhaps don't receive enough drive for audible sound the Frugels will produce a more audible output. It is not uncommon for the zero of volume controls not to be a true zero as there may be either a mechanical end error or there may be not be absolutely zero resistance at the end of the potentiometer track, caused by dirt on the wiper.
Sometimes a few vigourous end to end rotations of the control might clean it, otherwise don't worry unless the balance is significantly out.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Dave Friday Dave Friday wrote:

My guess is that the chassis end of the volume control has a dry joint,how are you with a test meter?

What's a test meter?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:38pm
This just in from the manufacturer:

"Hello Ifor Phillips,

Thank you for your email.
It sounds like the volume control may be faulty on your Amplifier wot we made. The cost of replacing the volume control and service is:

VOLUME CONTROL £ 24.40 plus VAT £ 4.88 TOTAL £29.28

LABOUR £ 162.00 for 1.5 hrs

carriage £ 26.40 UK only

The turnaround is usually 3-5 days"

I think I'll try some of the suggestions of forum members rather than fork out £162 for their labour. Thanks everyone.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:46pm
A digital multimeter is what I think Dave is talking about. I got a good one from B&Q a few years back for about £20. Measures eletrical resistance, capacitance, potential difference/voltage, current flow, tests electrical continuity with a beep etc. Just plug the supplied rods/probes into the device and you can test various properties of PCBs or electronic components.

That amplifier is no longer under warranty I suppose then? I just feel that if that was a GSP product, you'd get better customer service than that...

I think it might be wise to investigate Dave's suggestion. If the metallic housing of the volume potentiometer is not properly "tied down", it might be left "floating" perhaps (?)

Edited by Ash - 21 Jan 2015 at 4:03pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic