FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

RP3 with expensive cartridge or stock RP6?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

note to the moderators - why does the text sometimes change in size as it did in this post which I have since edited? - it was typed in one go directly to the site via a laptop. I also see various symbols such as apostrophes, inverted commas etc appear as ASCII characters

Something to do with compatibility with https. Usually a forum doesn't use secure encoding but this one now being an integral part of the hifisystemcomponents.com website has to be. I have contacted the hosting company on numerous occasions about this issue, and some of it has been corrected but it seems some still escapes.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Hbuus Hbuus wrote:

......"Designed using the latest 3D CAD & CAM technology, the new RB330 is the culmination of more than 35 years of tonearm design experience.  Featuring a brand new bearing housing, and our latest tonearm tube designed using intelligent redistribution of mass ensure this arm will exhibit fewer points of possible resonance. Extreme stability with almost friction free movement from the new high precision bearing assemblies guarantees to gather more information from your vinyl than ever before.

Featuring a new bias assembly, re-designed stiffer vertical bearing housing, integrated
     arm clip and an improved spring housing with easier to read numbers.
     Rega made, new low capacitance phono cable with Neutrik plugs,
     Improved lower friction, precision horizontal and vertical bearings
     New design 100g mild steel balance weight."

I wonder how it compares to RB303.
EDIT: And to Audiomods Classic II

As far as comparisons are concerned, the 330 is undoubtedly an improvement on the original 303. When I received my AO modified 303 back, the original bearings were included in a small bag. They were very basic & when I googled the maker name stamped on them, they were a very low cost Chinese item (this doesn't mean that the arm is necessarily poor - the standard product is highly regarded).

Audiomods arms are in a different league - much higher quality bearings & cable, a proper bias mechanism and precision counterweights that do not rely on an internal spring. VTA is also adjustable, including micrometer options.

I would expect a new P6 with an RB330 to come along soon so you may want to wait for that.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Hbuus<br>I just checked on Rega's homepage to see if I remember wrongly (<a href=http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-3-2016.html target=_blank rel=nofollow>link</a>), but it's true, they have indeed put a new RB330 tonearm on the Planar 3:<i><br><br></i><br>I wonder how it compares to RB303.<br>EDIT: And to Audiomods Classic II<br>
[/QUOTE Hbuus
I just checked on Rega's homepage to see if I remember wrongly (link), but it's true, they have indeed put a new RB330 tonearm on the Planar 3:

I wonder how it compares to RB303.
EDIT: And to Audiomods Classic II
[/QUOTE wrote:

You're absolutely right & I should have checked the facts before posting misinformationSmile.
I agree with Andrew's comment to wait for the RP6 with the 330 arm.
Only Rega know why they are still fitting the older 303 a

You're absolutely right & I should have checked the facts before posting misinformationSmile.
I agree with Andrew's comment to wait for the RP6 with the 330 arm.
Only Rega know why they are still fitting the older 303 arm to the RP6.

Edit. Messy post, can't fix it.Ouch

Edited by RichW - 22 Dec 2016 at 9:35am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 11:46am
I went to my dealer yesterday and listened to a stock P3 vs. RP8/Apheta 2 on various phono stages (though no Graham Slee, obviously). To my own surprise I preferred the P3 of the two! RP8 sounded too "perfect" for my taste, while the P3 had a more rough, wild, rock'n'roll sound if you like.

Getting just a stock P3 w/Elys 2 cartridge and then enjoy that for as long as possible, then get TT PSU, then enjoy that upgrade, then perhaps get the Exact cartridge and again, enjoy that - this seems like an attractive route to me. But if I do go that route, in the long run I will be paying almost exactly the price of the RP6 with it's better base/foundation, yet only have the P3. Like I said, I would however have had the joy of upgrading various parts instead of getting it all at once with the RP6.

Another option would be to get the stock P3, don't upgrade it at all, use that for a year or so, then buy a RP8 with a cartridge better matching my taste than the Apheta 2. I've been told on a Danish forum that I most likely would have preferred the RP8 had I heard it with another cartridge, for example Rega's Exact, which apparently should have a sound similar to P3's Elys 2.

Btw. my dealer thinks the RP6'es produced now will have the RB330 arm, he'll investigate it for me.

I'd really like to get a TT now, so waiting X months for Rega to, perhaps, introduce a new RP6...I'd hate that! Smile

I _could_ get the RP8 with an Exact now, but it's a £911 higher total price than the stock RP6.
That's a lot of money!!
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 4:09am
It's a lot more turntable!
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 4:03pm
Hehe Smile

Audio Affair UK applies 10% discount today on i.e. Graham Slee phono stages, so I have taken a chance and ordered a Reflex M with balanced outputs and green PSU.

(It's probably non-returnable because of AA's return policy, as I selected XLR-outputs = it may become a specialized item and thus non-resellable. But I'm pretty sure I'll love it - otherwise I wouldn't have ordered it.)
Ajmvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajmvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:07pm
Time to resurrect this thread.
I have a hotrodded 2019 P3.
24 V Neo PSU, Tangospinner Subplatter, Funk Boing Feet, Origin Live Zephyr arm with silver cables running a Rega Ania cartridge through an Elevator XP into a Puresound P10 phonostage.
Cusat 50 cables into my Naim Xs2, FlatcapXS, NAP200 combo.
I listened to the P6 and the P8 before deciding on upgrading as an option, and have never looked back.
Admittedly my sonic taste is not exactly the same as anyone elses, but if your feet start tapping, and you are still hearing new things in well known discs you must have something right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic