FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ripping vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:59pm
Thanks Chris - I'll look into SBooster . .
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:56pm
You could also look at the Boss power supplies - although SMPS they're very well made, and the nasties are filtered out.
You do have the issue of the plug polarity being the opposite of everything else, but that's something easily got around.
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

It's the PSU thing that has led to me going over to a battery powered digital recorder (Tascam DR-07).

What's the Tascam like, Chris? I'm currently using an Asus Xonar U7 soundcard for high res needledropping into a laptop but, while it works fine, it's temperamental. And I'm not utterly convinced that the use of USB 2 inputs is the cleanest way of getting a signal into the digital domain.
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Paul H Paul H wrote:

What's the Tascam like, Chris?

The Tascam just does what it says on the tin.
The ADCs are more than good enough, as you'd expect from a company that has been active in making recording equipment for awhat seems like forever.
Like any menu driven piece of kit you need to dig around a little bit to find which settings you need, but once found and adjusted it's by far the easiest and most reliable method I've used.
And the noise floor of the recordings is very, very low.

The eternal issues of recording LP records that many folk encounter still exist, no matter which piece of kit you use, and it's the same with the Tascam.
Frequently the line level signal is too hot for the recorder/interface input, which is the reason why Graham put the variable output on the Accession phono preamp.
Going direct from the phono preamp will give the simplest path.

I thought about the overloading issue for a good while, and I have ended up connecting up my Reflex M phono pre to my Solo II headphone amp, and use the level control for the headohone output to keep recording levels low enough so as not to clip the recorder input.
OK, so it's not as simple as phono pre to recorder input, but the Solo II is a very good amplifier, and transparent to boot.

Originally posted by Paul H Paul H wrote:

I'm currently using an Asus Xonar U7 soundcard for high res needledropping into a laptop but, while it works fine, it's temperamental. And I'm not utterly convinced that the use of USB 2 inputs is the cleanest way of getting a signal into the digital domain.

I've used all sorts of sound cards over the years, followed by a couple of recording interfaces (Emu0202 USB, followed by an Emu0404 USB).
The best of the them by far was the Emu0404, which requires its own power supply. The 0404 USB can perform ADC/DAC duties on its own without needing to have a computer connected by USB, and it has SPDIF inputs and outputs too, so it's quite a powerful and well considered piece of hardware.

The Emu0404 USB I bought second hand, and it replaced the Emu0202 USB).
I was immediately struck with the superior results obtained recording with it, and I attributed this to its ground planes not being connected between it and the computer over USB.
It wasn't long before I wondered whether the external PSU could have beneficial effect on noise within the unit, and I tried the linear PSU I use to power my Squeezebox Touch.
The lowering of audible noise floor to being undetectable told me that it was a good step - a just audible band of hiss disappeared, which has to be a good thing.

The Tascam made all of that faffing about unnecessary.
They don't make the model I have any more, but they still make other models which look to be functionally the same.

Edited by Chris Firth - 28 May 2016 at 12:25pm
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by McHolmeM McHolmeM wrote:

Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

In my mind it's queued behind, Cyrus CD promo upgrade (going for the Xt Signature), Majestic and then a pair of Proprii. It'll take a while to get all that past my wife!

The CD8SE looks pretty much the same as the CDXt transport so I'm sure she won't spot the difference! Wink

My CD8SE was registered with Cyrus by the dealer many weeks ago for the upgrade (to CDi) but still waiting for it to be called off. 

Apparently I am now in position 143 in the queue.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 3:59pm
I'm thinking of starting to rip some vinyl. I have just got a Fono Mini A2D for free off a mate, He's just up graded to a Graham Slee phono amp. Now before I buy any software to do this with I thought it best to start with one of the free programs to see how I get on. I know there is one, I think I have asked this before but I just can't remember what it's called I have had a look on this forum with no luck (I think it's got city in it's name) Or maybe someone here may have a better program to use. I am not too worried about being able to play a track as in being able to skip tracks, As I would like to play a rip like a record as it was intended to be played. I will be using a laptop, Is there anything else I need other than a cable which I think I have some where or anything else I need to know.
I have a weeks holiday coming up with nothing to do, so this would give me something to do other that drinking beer and listening to music (not a bad way to spend a week off) but I rather do something constructive.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 4:48pm
You could.try using Audacity as free software to start ripping. It will probably give all the features you need to start with. I didn't find it particularly easy to use, not very intuitive ( or not idiot proof!) and went for Vinylstudio. Not very costly and to my mind a lot easier to use.
It a bit of  a black hole you're stepping into, many options to try.  I ended up getting an Accession MM to give the variable phono out to feed into a Focusrite A2D going to a laptop with Vinylstudio software.  Works well. You need to ask Bob as the expert in these matters.

Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic