FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ripping then moving to HDD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:21pm
Hi Graham
They do say it shouldn't do but I have read some where that some say it sounds better on FLAC, But as for the volume issue, I have encountered that with some of my CDs I have and have to turn up the volume so that's not a problem. I was just wondering about the sound quality that's all, I know at my age I do not have the hearing that I did have say 30 years ago but I can still tell the difference between a good HiFi set up and a bad one. I can always play a CD when I wont the best quality and I will still buy and listen to CDs. As I have said on this forum before I do like looking at my music collection, It's not the same when looking at music files on a computer screen as I have something in my hands to look at. I'm old school.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:26pm
I honestly don't think you'll hear an obvious drop in quality Jon - well, unless streaming from a computer degrades the sound in any way, I've no experience and can't comment on that.

If you find that the difference in volume between some CDs is just too irritating, you can go a long way to 'correcting' the flac versions ripped from the 'quiet' ones by importing them into Audacity, and choosing Normalize; then export the result as another flac file. The exported file will have a higher volume. It's just three clicks and some wait time while Audacity does its stuff, but it's an added chore and the time can add up.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:29pm
Graham
I have dBpoweramp and that compares other rips in it's data bank when I rip my CDs in accurate rip so the CDs I have ripped are OK, Not a lot you can do with CD but turn up the volume. My mate is letting me have a cable to connect the computer to my CD players DAC before I get a GS cable, So I will compare the two for sound quality for my self. This is the 1st time for me with computer audio so I'm learning at the moment.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:25pm
Hi John
   I think it depends a lot on the quality of the CD player you used. Computers are an electrical storm in a box! When I owned aMajestic I got very worthwhile improvements in sound by using an AudioQ**** Jitterbug. It quietened the background digital hash quite a lot made for easier long term listening. That was running out of a MacBook. However, when I bought a dedicated streamer with a great deal of work dedicated to electrical noise reduction, the little device made no audible difference. 
Cheers
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 7:26pm
Michael
I do know my CD player does have a good DAC and I can't see me replacing it any time soon or buying a DAC to get a better sound, I was just thinking it is a good way to play back ground music but I still would like to have good sound quality, It would be less important because it's in the back ground and I will be doing other things and not just listening. Spending money on my HiFi will have to take a holiday at the moment as I have just ordered a push bike. I'm trying to get fit as I have just found out I'm not as fit as I used to be. Today I have found out that my new Graham Slee cables will be delivered tomorrow that will be my last HiFi up grade for awhile.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:25pm
Just ripped the first CD where I had to edit all the track tags, WHAT A PAIN. As it was a Japanese live recording in 1982 I'm assuming it was only intended for the Japanese market, but this year it was released in the UK.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Just ripped the first CD where I had to edit all the track tags, WHAT A PAIN. As it was a Japanese live recording in 1982 I'm assuming it was only intended for the Japanese market, but this year it was released in the UK.

The database the CD metadata comes from is not comprised of data given by record companies.
When record companies provide such data they frequently make a proper balls up of it, so best avoided anyway.

It comes from ordinary folk like you and I.
If the metadata you pulled in was in Japanese it means that the only entries for the CD are in Japanese.

I had to manually enter data myself this morning, because the data pulled in on the first of two CDs was completely wrong.
The second CD came up just fine.

The rip reports will get back to wherever they're compiled when my machine submits the data.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic